We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport with 3 months remaining

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
passport with 3 months remaining

I plan to travel in December with a passport that expires in April '08. Wondering if I should renew it beforehand; anyone familiar if UK is one of the European countries requiring passports with > 6 months validity remaining?

Thanks, T

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

I would renew it now - then you won't have to worry about it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

Definately get it renewed. London is very security conscious and anything that may delay you any longer at immigration is best avoided.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

UK just requires a passport that is valid on the day you leave the UK - however many airlines don't know this and will insist on a "valid" passport

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

Yes, get it done now. The backlog at the passport office is cleared up (at least they say it is), and it is better to be safe than sorry and be disappointed if you wait and your passport is refused when you try to travel.

Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

I went to England once with less than 6 months remaining. Nobody in the U.S. noticed or cared, but as I was leaving England, was given a hard time by security at the airport. I'd renew it now. Have a great time!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

Hi - I used to be a Customs Officer in a past life and you need to have at least 6 months life in your passoprt. You do need to renew it. If you are allowed a three month stay in the UK on a normal vistors visa you need to have at least a month after that on the validity of your passport incase you get ill or whatever - if you don't you get stuck in a country without a valid passport. It is also a condition of visa free entry that your passport is valid for a certain time . If it is not valid the Airline in the States can refuse to carry you as they get fined by the country they take the passenger to if they are carrying passengers without right of entry into that country. ( I know this is a bit rambled but it is late here )

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

Sorry forgot to add - you may get through ok with noone noticing ( they should tho ) as when you are looking at 000's of passports a day you can miss things - but it would only take one person to pick itup and your holiday is ruined . I would err on the safe side and renew it

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

Thanks everyone. These replies arm me with info to pry my husband's passport from his hands as three family passports expire in April. He does a lot of spur of the moment business travel, and doesn't like being without it. Has been known to go through the appointment process for a same day issue, but that takes hours. I'm hoping to get by with just the speedy option, anyone ever have experience sending passport for renewal and then needing it back? Can you call and explain an emergency need to have it returned?

T

9. Re: passport with 3 months remaining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 19:21