We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Ipod Travel Advice

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Need Ipod Travel Advice

I would like to buy an Apple iPod for my upcoming trip to London, leaving in 7 days.

This will be my first digital music storage device, and while I have downloaded music etc and am comfortable with my computer -- I know very little about iPods beyond the (thorough) demonstration I had at the Apple store.

So I have a few questions I hope someone more experienced can help me with:

Is it realistic to assume that I can buy a new iPod, learn how to use it, and download say, a dozen CD's onto it taking maybe an hour or two each day for seven days?

What must I buy for it and or bring with me to keep it working on my travels (recharger etc.) What adapters, if any, do I need for London? Would you consider bringing along the small speakers?

Do you think the photo storage iPod is a good thing? (I do take a lot of digital photos. It sounds fun, but that unit is also considerably bulkier.)

Any other tips/suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

My tip is to buy a Creative Zen. They are cheaper and get much better reviews, especially in sound and battery life. You could learn how to use one of those in minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,127 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

My daughter got an ipod for her birthday.. aside from loading the necessary software we downloaded 3 CD's in about 30 mins.

They really are quite easy to use if you are familiar with computer basics..our only problem was that the first one had a faulty screen..the LCD faded in and out and we were not sure if this was supposed to happen....

We'll take hers with us this trip with the charger and it will charge using the same adapter you use for any other electrical appliance to make it compatible with Uk power outlets.

As for photos..well at 10 all she really wanted was music and games so we didn't look at anything else.. she's asked for the BOSE speakers for this birthday..

Schertz, TX
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

My daughter bought the mini-IPod for our upcoming trip. The IPod was very easy to download after the installation process with your computer. She has downloaded over 300 songs as well as downloaded two audible books within a few hours over the course of several days. It is really very easy to do. The only additional items I would suggest purchasing, that does not come with your IPod, is an electrical charge adapter, a IPod cover (she purchased the IPod skin), and she also purchased a battery back-up charger for the long plane trip. She also purchased another set of earphones as she felt the ones that came with the IPod were a little uncomfortable in her ears. She absolutly loves hers. My daughter is excited about not having to carry her CD player and all her discs.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

tonymoco, I have an iPod with me (3G, 40Gig) and I'm not thinking of taking it with me to the UK only b'cos

1) the iPod by itself is v delciate. And knowing my penchant of throwing and messing things in and around my backpack, I don't want this to get damaged. (Yes, I have a cool protective case, but it still is a delicate thing)

2) Battery life - on full charge, the stupid thing lasts for 5-6 hours at MOST. I'd rather carry a CDman with me and listen unlimited.

Regarding accessories to carry with you - nothing really. Except the charger. Be sure to Xfer all your songs before you leave. Oh, and seeing as everyone's into legal downloads these days, visit this website - allofmp3s.com which is really cheap, and you get all kinds of music.

So. California USA
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

The iPod is easy to use IMO and travel with. You will have enough time to do all the things you are looking to do. It takes 5 minutes to rip a CD into to a AIFF or MP3 file and load it to your iPod. The time consuming part of the process is the ripping the file, the loading time from iTunes to the iPod goes quite quickly.

You simply will need an outlet adapter for your charger.

Speakers? Best bet for a traveler is the iMotion by Altec Lansing. It is about $100 USD and is very compact and light. It comes with an AC transformer and also will run for 24 hours on 4 AA batteries. The iMotion also acts as a charger for your iPod. If you want to bring speakers with you this is your best bet.

As far as storing photos, if you are running short of flash card space the iPod is a very handy way to download the photos on the fly.

While it is a huge investment to make to have some music with you for any single trip, an iPod is something that can have great utility and change the way you store and interact with your music for years to come.

It is simply the best MP3 player in the world and I highly recommend it. I have owned one since they were first introduced and have upgraded to the 40GB a year ago. And the iTunes is a world class jukebox. Add to all of this the fact that iTunes is now also a Windows application and it makes the iPod a great choice.

If you belong to Costco they often have the iPod at a $50 savings.

I hope this helps,

Marc

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

Again, iPod is GREAT. Just that it's quite delicate and I wouldn't want to take it if I'm backpacking and stuff.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

My daughter is getting one from us on Wed. for her high school graduation present. My husband has had one for a year and loves it, in fact, has just bought an Mac shuffle so he can not only listen to his downloads but can down load computer stuff when he goes to professional meetings. That means I can have his iPod which I'm bringing with me to London (8-20 June) for the main purpose of downloading my digital pixs from the memory card. That way I will not have to purchase several memory cards. He won't let me bring his iBook so this is the next best thing-and I'll have to find an internet cafe to send any e-mails.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

Wow. I am blown away by all of the extremely helpful and experieced iPod advice -- and tailored to travel as well.

I know how helpful and solid this forum is, but I am still just so amazed and grateful every time I am a beneficiary of your generosity.

Needless to say, I am printing all of this out and off to the Apple Store (or possibly Costco!) -- and then on to London with my new iPod.

Thank you.

Tony

(Oh...and do keep 'em coming if you have more to say. :-))

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

I'm taking mine. I have a 20G Ipod. I have downloaded 18 audio books (www.audible.com) and over 1300 songs, and I've only used about 25% of the memory.

It's very easy to learn how to use.

What is Xfer? Is it transfer?

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Ipod Travel Advice

tonymoco, if you want some good iPod advce, go to www.ipodlounge.com/forums. I always hang out there too! ;-)