We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

My husband, daughter (age 19) and I are arriving On Virgin Atlantic (Gatwick South Terminal) at 6:55 AM on December 26. I've looked at the Dot2Dot website and their price for the 3 of us round trip would be L114.00(sorry -- no "pound" key!). They assist you with your luggage onto the Gatwick Express, then meet you at Victoria, again assist you with luggage and you are met by one of their shuttle vans which drops you at your hotel (or hopefully, private address as we are renting a flat in South Kensington).

If we do the "4 for 2" fare on the Gatwick Express, total round trip for the 3 of us would be L53.60 in Express Class or L88.00 in First Class. Are the perks worthwhile to be in First Class?

My husband has some difficulty walking due to extensive knee surgery and I don't think taking the Underground (to Kensington High Street which has no lift or escalator) is viable. Therefore, we would be taking a taxi from Victoria to the flat.

How much would the taxi cost and how do we go about arranging for another taxi to pick us up at the flat the morning of departure? Do we simply telephone for the taxi and are they reliable about arriving on time?

The Dot2Dot service is tempting because it provides seamless service -- but is it just as easy to get a taxi (keeping in mind that we are arriving on Boxing Day?)

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

Black cabs charge double fare from 11:59pm on 24th Dec until 12:01am on 27th Dec, so you'd be looking at around £75+ in a black cab from Gatwick.

Do the Gatwick Express in Express Class (First Class not really worth the difference) then a taxi Victoria to South Kensington would be in the region of £10-£12.

Look in the phone directory at your rental place for a private taxi company. They're cheaper than black cabs and can be booked in advance, most are reliable though give them 5-10mins leeway as London traffic can be hellish.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

If your flight is late there is a direct train at 09:37, then every hour to West Brompton, about 1 mile from South Kensington taking just 30 minutes.

Adult standard return is 18 GBP so the savings pay for a taxi easy.

You could do the same trip as soon as your arrive changing trains at Clapham Junction, but connections are such that this will take almost an hour and you will have a few flights of stairs to negociate at Clapham.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

I am fairly sure that the service mentioned by Handfordr won't be running on the 26th. The GEX to Victoria (assuming it is running) and then a taxi is your best bet.

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

Thank you all for replying. I did email Dot2Dot asking if they also provided transfers to private addresses. I got a prompt and very courteous reply in which the company rep said that, while they hope to expand their service next year, the closest they could currently get me to our flat in Iverna Gardens is the Olympia Hilton on Kensington High Street.

I think we will just do Express Class on the GEX and then get a taxi from Victoria.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,667 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

The train to West Brompton will be running on the 26th

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

Are you sure Alan? Normaly there are NO British Rail services on Boxing Day and the travel planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk indicates as such with a heading of "+ one day" when typing in the 26th of December.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

Just come across this regarding the Gatwick Express on the National Rail website -

"Wednesday 26 December (Boxing Day)

There will be no train service before 05:30 and no replacement bus service will operate.

From London Victoria to Gatwick a half hourly train service will operate from 05:30 the last depatiure at 23:45.

From Gatwick to London Victoria a half hourly train service will operate from 06:20 with the last departure at 23:35.

There is a slightly increased journey time of 42 minutes."

Although a couple of Southern services will be operating on Boxing Day the Gatwick to West Brompton route is not listed as one that will be running.

nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/Christm…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,667 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

missed the +1 - though there is a train at 22:37

London
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

The Dot2Dot service is the best way for you to travel in that case as it will bring you directly from Gatwick to central London, what postcode is the flat as they only travel to central London hotels at the minute. The cost of Dot2Dot is definately cheaper.

Amanda

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,667 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boxing Day Arrival Gatwick -- Dot 2 Dot Service?

<<< The Dot2Dot service is the best way for you to travel in that case as it will bring you directly from Gatwick to central London >>>

No they don't, they shove you on the GEX then pick you up at Victoria

dot2.com/StaticPages/OurService/Gatwick.aspx