We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice from airfare experts

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
need advice from airfare experts

We are planning an early summer trip. Want to leave last day of June to get better rates. The airfare seems so high right now (flying from Vancouver). I've been watching for a couple of months now. Air Canada is the best deal today, but I'm wondering if we should wait until after Xmas. Maybe British Airways would have something better? Or Air Transat? We want to connect to begin our trip in Edinburg, but we're worried about making connections at LHR and possibly missing our flight to Edinburg. We want to end our trip in Amsterdam. Should we avoid flying into London altogether? KLM flights are really high right now. Any airfare experts out there with good advice?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Check fares to Glasgow - it's only an hour or so by bus or train to Edinburgh

Easyjet fly from Edinburgh to Amsterdam so you should be able to get lower fares than KLM, so you could fly Vancouver to Glasgow both ways then take a side trip to Amsterdam

If your dates are firm then book the Easyjet flights ASAP in order to get best prices. Return to Edinburgh a couple of days before flying home as no airline will assist you if you miss your onward flight on non-connecting tickets

If you don't have any intention of going near London I wouldn't go anywhere near London

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Hi there

It's the same for me whenever I want to travel to the States in May/june - airfares for that period are crazily high prior to Christmas and so I always wait to book my ticket until February or even March by which time the fares have often reduced by anything up to 40%. Use a good on-line "ticket finder" like Expedia to see how fares are doing - the website will also compare ticket prices from all the trans-Atlantic carriers and enable you to make an informed decision.

One tip - although I ALWAYS use Expedia to plan my trips, if for example they come up with American Airlines as being the best deal, I then check out AA's site where the tickets are often even cheaper than on Expedia.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Kayak.com is another good site to compare flight prices.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Fares are high from YVR, period. I reckon BA (and probably AC) will have at least two seat sales between now and, say, the end of February, and if this year's history comes around again, there will be a sale for flights in June.

BA will fly to and from T5 from next March, and I think most domestic (including EDI) flights will depart from that terminal as well. If you need to connnect to a different terminal building at LHR, I suggest you allow at least twice the minimum connection time, as it really is a minimum time, without much wriggle room. If you're making an intra-terminal connection, then the MCT should be sufficient, but T5 is an unknown as far as that goes.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need advice from airfare experts

I aways use www.canadian-affair.ca when flying to Canada.

Prices will go up a lot with any carrier from the 2nd week in July.

Just had a quick look for you. to give you an eg.

Flying from

Vancouver to Glasgow on the 25th June = $329 plus tax

Vancouver to Glasgow on the 2nd July = $479 plus tax

Flying from

London to Vancouver on the 10th July = $350 plus tax

London to Vancouver on the 12th July = $420 plus tax

London to Vancouver on the 17th July = $530 plus tax

The two cheapest fares come to $976.00 CD for one adult.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Thank you. Just to clarify--our trip tentatively includes:

Edinburg, York, Bath, London, Bruges/Belgium, Haarlem/Amsterdam. . We wanted to begin in Edinburg and end in Amsterdam. But......we could juggle this around somewhat. I am nervous about flying into London on AC and trying to connect with BMI to Edinburg with only a few hours. I am even more nervous to connect Amsterdam --London with the same 2 different carriers because if we miss our London connection we're really hooped.

Earliest I can leave Canada is June 28th. We are trying to get in a week early in the summer before the hoards arrive.

My preference would be KLM. Vancouver - Amsterdam - Edinburg. Rtn Amsterdam - Vancouver. But.......it's really expensive right now! Like ridiculously expensive.

Will keep my eye on the YVR Glasgow suggestion or maybe begin the trip in London and train to Edinburg flying from Edinburg to Amsterdam at a later date on easyjet without worrying about connections. I guess I will just keep plugging away at this checking daily until something looks good. But it sounds like I don't have to panic until after Xmas? Any other advice?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need advice from airfare experts

look at www.flyzoom.com. They are a charter airline I think, but supposedly have a good reputation.

One option is to fly Vancouver to Manchester. You can train from Manchester to Edinburgh (via York on the way if you want to change the order of travel). York is only 1 hour and bit from Manchester by rail with regular direct services). I work on the railways so if you wish to travel by rail I can give you much more detailed information on best way to price this & times, etc.

Zoom may also fly to Glasgow. I have checked the website, but not showing flights yet. It may be a bit early if not in system yet. I would phone Zoom in Canada & ask for advice as I think they are frequenly best value fares. If you visit Amsterdam you should able to find flight Amsterdam - Manchester without to much problem for return home. From reports I have heard Manchester is a good alternative to London airports.

If you like the extra comforts Zoom do have upgrades on some flights. Worth a look.

I think you can wait a little while to mull over the options given. There ae many good suggestions given in this forum. You often find a rush on bokings after xmas so get don't leave it too long after that as some fares will start to rise further.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need advice from airfare experts

PS it's EdinburgH

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need advice from airfare experts

I suggest you watch the newspaper travel section for airfares, that's what I do. As well, I have many travel agencies bookmarked on my computer and I checked them often as prices change a lot.

We just came back from England, leaving from Toronto, going to Manchester, for 18 days. We paid $92. RETURN! for airfare; you have to go when it's that cheap. With taxes it was about $325. each, return.

I booked the flight in June for Sept. 29th. I found this airfare at www.holidaymarkettravel.com and I've found excellent airfares there in the past.

I went to Glasgow last minute a couple of yrs ago for $233. return.

I would not book now, I'd be keeping an eye on airfares for a while, see how it goes, and be ready to pounce on something you know is too good to pass up.

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need advice from airfare experts

Summer school holidays start end June/beg July in Scotland ( 3-4 weeks later in the rest of UK ) so fares are increased dramatically at this time- both in out of the country.