We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterton Lakes...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

I'm doing final ajustments to the itinerary and I can't being a history buff I can't deside which to see. From what I've read it is impractical to try to do both. If that's so which should I choose?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

Your earlier post said you will be in London for 14 days. If you are indeed a history buff, I can't see what is impractical about finding the time to spend a half day at each, not on the same day preferably.

Waterton Lakes...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

sorry both in the same day is what I ment.

Malta
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

If you really had to choose, then go for Windsor Castle. It's simply grander and you can add to it a visit to Windsor & Eton town and a boat ride on the Thames.

But if I had 14 days in London, I would surely fit in both.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

I'm not sure which one you would enjoy the most. Why not do the one interests you the most?

Both can be reached by train from Waterloo station in about 40 minutes, but getting from one to the other will take about an hour by car / taxi or train (head back into London and change at Clapham Junction).

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

Hi, I know you're looking at this from not being able to do both in one day - but if you're here for 2 weeks, are you sure you can't fit both in on separate days? They are very different creatures, and I suspect you'd enjoy both.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
752 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

If you try to do Hampton Court in a half day, you'll be missing an awful lot. There is too much to see and do in such a short time. Understand that Hampton Court is actually two different and very distinct palaces connected back-to-back, so to speak. There is, of course, the Tudor part, but the opposite side is the equally impressive part built for William and Mary several decades later. Both are facinating, and require time to appreciate.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

Agree with seeing both. We had 10 days in London, managed to visit both and enjoyed each one for different reasons.

However trying to see both Windsor and Hampton Court on the same day will likely muddle the distinctiveness of each property for you as you wonder "which one did I see that in?".

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

I agree with everyone in trying to fit both into your schedule to see on different days. They are both very different experiences, but equally worth at least half a day....each!

With Hampton Court, you have not only the Tudor wing and William and Mary Wing, but you also have thier extensive gardens to walk in, which are worth the meander. We went hoping to see all of the palace and garden in about 2 hours, but spent about 4 hours (not including travel time) altogether.... and it was worth every minute.

Windsor Castle is certainly very grand and stately, and you will see the castle in quite a bit less time than Hampton, but you also have the lovely town to see, and that, along with seeing the castle, is worth at least half a day.

As everyone else has said, do try and squeeze in both on separate days..... I suggest starting your day with either one of these, then heading back into london to spend your afternoon at another sight.

Wenatchee, WA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

My second trip to London is in November and I plan to do them both but on different days. I, too, am a history buff. I hope also to do a day trip to Cambridge. I will be there 8 days. My only problem is getting theatre tickets for the days I do the out of town stuff as I miss going to the TKTS booth at Leicester square on out of town days.

Last time I did a day trip to Salisbury/Stonehenge one day and took the train down to stroke on trent to tour the wedgwood factory on my other day trip. (I collect wedgwood and it was an incredible experience for me) I try and mix in the out of town stuff with the in town stuff.

Boston...
Level Contributor
908 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle?

I would pick Windsor Castle if I had to choose one, as everyone else has said, because you also have a lovely town to explore.

If you must only do one, the deciding factor may be whether the State Apartments at Windsor Castle are open on the day you've chosen to visit. If the apartments are closed, I'd go to Hampton Court.