We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Travel Card Question

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Another Travel Card Question

I purchased 7-day travel cards for my friend and I (we're going to London next week...we're in New York) and on the back of the card it says that we should have a photocard with a number that matches the number on the travel card. How do we obtain this?

London
Level Contributor
563 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Travel Card Question

You just go to a photo booth (they're located at many Tube stations) and take the photo to the ticket office where they stick it onto a Photocard, and hey presto, you're ready to go.

Alternatively, if you don't fancy using a photo booth (and they're not cheap), bring your own passport sized photo.

By the way, Photocards are NOT needed if your Travelcard is charged onto one of the new-style Oystercards. The Oystercard is an electronic stored value card which is being brought in to replace the paper cards.

Visiting London for a short spell, I don't think it's really worth getting an Oystercard. You have to pay a deposit for the card. So just stick with an old-style paper card.

For a full explanation of tickets and prices for travel in London, see tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2005/index.shtml

Be aware that the Tube, bus and rail networks are divided into six concentric zones. If you travel outside the zones for which your card is valid, you will need to pay more.

Have a great time in London!

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Travel Card Question

Many thanks....We'll be staying 5 days....and we bought the 7 day travel card for zones 1 and 2. Thanks for your help.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Travel Card Question

The information on the back of the card appears to be out of date. You no longer need a photocard with 7 day travelcards - ut changed a couple of months ago. The attached link explains under the section pints to note where it states that you need a photocard only for travelcards that are valid for a month or longer .

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…17

I am assuming of course that you and your friend are adults of course.

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Travel Card Question

Photocards are no longer required for 7-day travelcards. If you waited and purchased cards in London, the ticket clerk would have explained this to you. Another reason to wait until you get to the destination to purchase tickets of any type.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Travel Card Question

thanks for your advise...dually noted. Yes we are adults. We chose to purchase tickets in advance because we will be arriving during rush hour and we wanted to make things a bit easier for ourselves, but thanks for the info....it helps.