We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

Sandy Creek South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

This will seem odd as we have only just returned from London.

Could someone please advise me which is the best way to get out to the Cotswolds and Bath. We saw both whilst we were there, but didn't really have the time to spend there in any depth and would like to go again but this time stay in those places. What I need to know is can I get to these places from London by train or coach and is one any cheaper or better than the other?

Sandra from Sandy Creek, South Australia

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

Bath is easy by train or coach - coach from Victoria (or Heathrow), train from Paddington.

Cost depends on when you travel: I think the National Express (coach) charge the same whatever time of day you travel. The same is not true of First Great Western (train), travel at off peak times is cheaper, and there are specials on offer, but you need to kep an eye out on the 'net for such deals.

The Cotswolds is more complex: I suspect that there are coach tours of the Cotswolds, spread over several days, but that may not be what you want: Frankly a car is a better option - you could hire one from Bath quite easily: Bath is on the very Southern edge of the Cotswolds, so you might stay here and do day trips, but I suspect there may be a better place to stay near the middle - Cirencester for example, which I think is a lovely little town.

Distances are short here by Oz standards, but the design of the roads (ancient) and the volume of traffic (horrendous) means that even quite short trips can take a couple of hours, so the nearer to the centre you are the better.

Sandy Creek South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

Thank you for that advise. Yes, there did seem to be a lot of traffic about, so next time we go I think we might look at Bath first, then get a car and go and stay in the Cotswolds somewhere.

Regards

Sandra

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

Try www.cotswold.gov.uk which takes you to tourism,

www.cotswold.gov.uk/nqcontent.cfm…

travel to and around,

www.cotswold.gov.uk/nqcontent.cfm…

and Explore the cotswolds by public transport which blends where to go with how to get there

cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/files/uploads/Exploregu…

Cirencester is indeed central, and central to the bus network too.

4. Re: Bath and the Cotswolds - Train or Coach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 19:16