We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remembrance Day in London

Derby.UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Remembrance Day in London

This Sunday is Remembrance Day, 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month so if any visitors have wondered why people are wearing red poppies it is to honour the men and women who gave their lives, and still do for their country.

This year it falls on a Sunday which is the day of the service in Whitehall and 2 minutes silence at 11am to remember those who have given their life and which is held all across the UK.

Wear your poppy with pride.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Remembrance Day in London

Just to add to Phil's post, this Thursday the 8th, Prince Philip opens the Field of Remembrace outside Westminster Abbey where it will remain until the 15th.

britishlegion.org.uk/events/Field-of-Remembr…

www.westminster-abbey.org/press/news/32598

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Remembrance Day in London

Also remember the "Festival of Rememberance" held in The Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening (10th) - and show n on BBC television on Saturday night.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Remembrance Day in London

Dear SailorPhil:

I have often been in London on Rememberance Day, and I always buy a poppy. It is very moving to see the wreaths laid at the Cenotaph and also the displays of poppies at Westminster Abbey.

Thanks for reminding everyone of this very important day.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remembrance Day in London

We were in London last year on Remembrance Day, a Saturday I believe it was.

I spent the whole day looking for a red paper poppy, but everywhere I checked they had all been given out.

Finally DH found one for me and we proudly wore ours on a Thames River Cruise the next day, Sunday.

Almost everyone wore poppies, it was really nice to see.

In the US people used to wear them, but it seems the custom has faded away now. Pity.

St. Paul's has a special service for Remembrance Day, http://www.stpauls.co.uk/

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Remembrance Day in London

I think that it is useful to note that people do stop (anywhere, including tube stations) to observe the minutes silence.

This weekend, myself and friends are going to the Somme to attend commemorations over there. Many NZ soldiers lost their lives in WWI in Northern France and Belgium.

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Remembrance Day in London

Went through the Somme where so many Australians died (including family members), remember seeing the poppies growing beside the road and was amazed at how fragile they were - nothing like I had imagined.

On Armistice Day we wear the red poppies too. This brings up something I've been wondering about SailorPhil. While we would wear a poppy on 11 Nov, I've been noticing on TV here that interviews with British politicians often shows them wearing poppies for what seems like the past few weeks. Why the extended period?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Remembrance Day in London

The UK Poppy Appeal was launched on Wednesday 24th October this year. Generally politicians and TV presenters will wear poppies from that day. In the UK the Poppy Appeal is run by the Royal British Legion. The Royal British Legion safeguards the welfare, interests and memory of ex-Service people and their families and dependants. The Poppy Appeal raised over £26 million in 2006.

In Flanders' Fields

John McCrae, 1915

In Flanders' fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place: and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders' fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high,

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders' Fields.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Remembrance Day in London

Poppies did seem to start early this year. There does not appear to be one official launch date for the Poppy Appeal - anytime from mid October to 1st November around the country.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Remembrance Day in London

On a practical note - would it be possible for TFL to "pause" all tube services (at nearest station) at 11.11.11 or would this lead to disrubtion of the network?

It's something I would like to see in the future, given the national importance of the occasion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Remembrance Day in London

I don't know about the underground but my understanding is that now planes take off or land at any of the airports during the minute's silence.