We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card name

Boston
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card name

How did they come up with he name "Oyster" for the card. Here in Boston we call ours the Charlie Card and got the name from the song Charlie On The MTA made famous by the Kingston Trio. Of course Charlie could never get off the train as they added an exit fare. The song was actually a protest song. But it got me to thinking of how they came up with the Oyster name.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card name

There are such things as - wait for it - brand name consultants. Actually, that doesn't really surprise me, as some businesspeople sell an idea and keep it going simply to maintain their niche(s) in the marketplace.

I prefer to think of it as an historical name from the Thames oyster beds, but in fact it was probably trialled at any number of focus groups before a decision was made. And why do I suspect that four or five times my annual salary was spent on the decision-making process?

The pertinent paragraph is under the heading 'Background".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card name

With respect to poor Charlie - if his wife handed him a sandwich every day, why did she never think to hand him another five cent piece, so he could get off the train?

Just curious.......

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card name

This bit is interesting "Oyster was conceived and subsequently promoted because of the metaphorical implications of security and value in the component meanings of the hard bivalve shell and the concealed pearl"

When I think of oyster, I think of this disgusting grey slimy thing :)

Boston
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card name

I could never figure out why she didn't give him money either. Then again when some bands cover Charlie On The MTA his wife gives him the finger instead of sandwich, so maybe it was not a happy marriage. :-)

I had wondered if the Thames once was full of Oysters.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card name

I assumed it was from the saying: the world is your oyster. The world in this case being the London transport system.

I grew up in New Orleans, so to me an oyster is a Gulf Coast creature, best when fried and eaten on a po-boy (sandwich).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,831 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card name

Is it because Oysters are actually simple creatures but are very difficult to get in to and understand unless you live in their environment and read through pages and pages of TFL info and TravellerPlus pearls of wisdom posts???

LOL

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Card name

The Thames Estuary has been famous for shellfish fishing for hundreds of years. Whitstable in Kent and Colchester in Essex are still known for oyster beds. My ex-hus used to talk about having cockles and whelks in Southend-on-sea as treats when he was a young lad.....erm, better him than me.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Card name

The original Hong Kong card is called the Octopus card, so I imagine they kept with the marine theme

9. Re: Oyster Card name

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:18