We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change Euro coins in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Change Euro coins in London

Hi,

I will be in London only in a few weeks and have given a whole lot of Euro coins. Does anyone know where I can change to UK money ?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change Euro coins in London

In my experience most bureaux de change won't accept coins, but it's been a few years since I've tried to exchange them. It may be worthwhile contacting Travelex or Thomas Cook to enquire if they'll turn coins into notes then into sterling.

customerservices@travelex.com

www.thomascook.com - you'll see the Contact Us link at the top of the page.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change Euro coins in London

How much is "a whole lot"? It could be a lot of coins; but still not worth bringing, unless its many tens of Euros because places that will change them are very few and far between (high cost of dealing with them because of the weight).

FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change Euro coins in London

Maybe some places will let you spend them. Top off a purchase in pounds with part of the price covered in euros. Probably won't get the best exchange rate on them but at least you'll be able to get rid of em and get something in return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change Euro coins in London

It's a while since I did it, but I don't recall having any problems getting rid of EUR notes and coins (and USD notes and coins) in shops in Central London.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change Euro coins in London

I have seen foreign airports with coin machines that convert at a poor exchange rate. I don't know if the machines are available at London airports.

Americans, who refuse to use dollar coins, can be surprised at how much a pocketful of euro coins can be worth, with a €2 coin worth almost $3.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Change Euro coins in London

Heathrow has travelex machines that will change Euro, USD and Sterling coins but as someone else has pointed out the exchnage rate is not particuarly good. Look out for the blue and red machines.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change Euro coins in London

I wouldn't bother -- heavy to carry, an utter burden to exchange, and a miserly exchange rate. Put them in a jar for a trip to the Continent.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change Euro coins in London

Or

you could bring them and put them in the donations for museums and churches. They have arrangements with the banks to change them to £s.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change Euro coins in London

> put them in the donations for museums and churches. >

Excellent idea, Mr. C! Most free London museums invite a donation of £3/$5/€5 and they'll happily take your coins.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change Euro coins in London

"Excellent idea, Mr. C! Most free London museums invite a donation of £3/$5/€5 and they'll happily take your coins."

Great, even though they won't be able to change coins at banks or currency bureaux