We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Okay, as a last minute organised trip, I am off on a road trip tomorrow with my partner. Weather possibly isn't ideal (late PM showers predicted....but who actually knows!) but we need to get away, so are taking the chance anyway.

At this stage, our only requirement is that we need to be in Canterbury, Kent by late pm (4/6pm ish). We have already been to Canterbury several times and have seen the Cathedral and sights that it has to offer, so are not bothered by arriving late. We are staying with a friend, so no hotels or accommodation to worry about either.

But....we would like to see some nice sights along the way, and I was just wondering if anyone had some itinerary suggestions?

I was thinking perhaps a detour via Brighton (weather isn't quite 'beach' but I don't mind). Then either up to Hastings and Dover, then Canterbury? Or is there a better option?

We haven't done much on this side of England, normally catching the National Express so our route isn't flexible.

Hope someone out there can assist with some good ideas, or other sights in this area that we shouldn't miss!

Oh, and on Sunday, we are planning on going from Canterbury to Leeds Castle, and need to be back in London by late evening, 9pm. I assume that more can be done on this day as well, but we'll probably just take Sunday as it comes and not plan it too much, keen not to make it too 'rigid' an itinerary.

Thanks in advance!

Kylie

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Some options are:

Greenwich

Chartwell - Winston Churchills place

Hever and Leeds Castle

Bodiam Castle

Dickens World

Chatham Dockyard

Penhurst Deer Park

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Thanks for your suggestions, I will go and take a look!

Kylie :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

How about Rye? I have combined it with a daytrip to Canterbury before.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Deal

Sandwich

Whitstable

Rochester

was thinking perhaps a detour via Brighton (weather isn't quite 'beach' but I don't mind). Then either up to Hastings and Dover, then Canterbury? Or is there a better option?

Eeek, sounds more like a 24 hour rally drive. OK getting down to Brighton from London in a few hours, but going cross-country to Canterbury vis Hastings & Dover is one hell of a day trip & you'd be fortunate to arrive by late pm in a relaxed fashion.

IMO get down to the Canterbury area on A2 - can be a challenge on a rainy day - & then mooch out to the coast (suggestions above) so that you can get back into Canterbury quickly.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Hi All,

We ended up going via Royal Tunsbridge Well, Battle and Hastings, stopping off at the Bewl Reservoir along the way. We had morning tea at the Pantiles at Royal Tunsbrige, went into the Castle at Battle and walked the grounds, and wandered the shorelines at Hastings along with a quick look at some shops. It was all very interesting and historic and we didn't feel pressured for time.

From Hastings, we went to Canterbury, arriving at about 6pm.

Yesterday was lovely weather for Leeds Castle. We had breakfast in Canterbury Centre and arrived at the Castle at about midday and left at just after 3pm. Home via Blue Water Shopping centre, not quite the wisest move (traffic was terrible as we left at about 5pm!) so we stopped off for dinner on the way home, then got back to West London at about 8pm.

A very nice drive, not too far, but still managing to see some nice countryside and we really enjoyed our visit to Battle.

Thanks for your comments, I would really have liked to have fitted in Dover as well, so that will have to be next time!!

Kylie

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,459 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

Thanks for posting Kylie. Glad you had a good couple of days.

7. Re: London - Canterbury Day Trip --> via ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 16:16