We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piccadilly and Northern Lines

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Piccadilly and Northern Lines

When leaving Heathrow this Wednesday, we plan to use the Piccadilly Line, and transfer at Leicester onto the Northern line.

We will each have 1 suitcase. Will there be a lot of stairs between the Picadilly and Northern Line? I realise we will have a lot of stairs at Goodge Station.

(while re-reading this message I realise it sounds like one of those complicated math. problems from grade school!) And, it does sound sooo good to me to be writing " Heathrow this Wednesday".

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

It may be impossible to take the Piccadilly line to Leicester, but if you want to change at Leicester Square ... sorry to be a fusspot, but in the UK you'll find that street and place names are very rarely truncated. If you asked how to take the Piccadilly line to Leicester you'd get some rather odd responses from Londoners.

It sounds as if you're headed towards Goodge Street station, and possibly a Gower Street hotel. If so, then you've got stairs to face with the change at Leicester Square (one flight of 14 steps and one of 20 steps, all up); at Goodge Street there are 20 steps up to the lift level, then a lift to the ticket hall and street.

Russell Square station has about 11 steps up from the train platform then lift to street level - even thought it takes about seven minutes to walk from there to Gower Street, I think it's an easier routing, as it's all on the flat once you leave Russell Square station.

Alternately, you can go to King's Cross - there is an escalator from the train platform to the ticket hall, then either a lift or seven short steps up to street level. You can grab a bus from stop R just across the road from the station; there's a stop at Gower Street and Torrington Place (look for Waterstone's) that's just steps from most of the hotels.

I use the Russell Square routing, as it's not a massive schlep, and I'd rather walk on London's pavements than deal with transferring lines on the Tube. However, it's your decision.

From Russell Square station, turn right along Woburn Place, as if you were going to the Royal National Hotel; turn left at Tavistock Square and walk along there - you'll go past Gordon Square, then the road takes a jog and becomes Byng Place (you'll see a church on the right). Just after Malet Street you'll see Waterstone's on the left and a traffic signal - that junction is Torrington Place and Gower Street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

A top tip for people with luggage or children is to ASK FOR HELP. Londoners are generally helpful, but reserved. Just ask a likely looking young man to help you carry your bags up the stairs.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

jdbri "ASK FOR HELP"

You know typing in capitals is considered shouting, right?

jmet,

Don't be afraid to go further on one line to make a change easier, e.g. as suggested already, going through to Kings Cross. Have a look at the TFL website and it will show which tube stations have lifts/elevators from the platforms.

Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

> You know typing in capitals is considered shouting, right? <

I do. I was shouting. It's a good point to get across to people - "Don't struggle, ask for help."

> Have a look at the TFL website and it will show which tube stations have lifts/elevators from the platforms. <

Do you have a link for that specific information as it would be handy to have.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

as you asked so nicely

:)

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-access-guid…

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

Thanks for that. :-)

I'd like to see a booklet that is "tourist friendly" that shows the stations with just a couple of steps (so not a major hurdle to most people with bags) to those that have flights and flights. And also connections... some lines are literally next to each other and some seem like three levels and 500m apart. Yet again, a "longer" journey might actually be more "straight-forward".

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

TravellerPlus,

Thank you. This is just the information I suspected I would need.

Russell Square it will be. I used that stop on my last trip,

when we stayed at the St. Margaret Hotel. This time we will be at

Arran House Hotel.

Do I remember you saying once that you cut through at the hotel to Bedford St? (court? square?) Is the drive through the Royal National Hotel easy to recognise? Otherwise, I could walk to the

end of the block and turn left. As long as it's not pouring rain we shall enjoy the walk.

I owe ya.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

You'll like the Arran House, I hope.

Indeed, the driveway through the Royal National is an easy way to sneak from Woburn Place to Bedford Way - you'll see it marked as it's also the main entrance to the R N.

The Arosfa is right at the corner of Torrington Place and Gower Street, with the Arran House next door. You'll see the bus stop on the oppo side of the road (same side as Waterstone's) just on the other side of the intersection.

Have a great stay - remember, you're leaving for your holiday this Wednesday - !

9. Re: Piccadilly and Northern Lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 08:17