We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Dungeons

Level Contributor
265 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
London Dungeons

I'm a bit confused about the London Dungeons...i had images of a semi-authentic underground type of place where you can see different torture methods and prisons, etc.

But, looking on their website it appears to be very much a Universal Studios recreation of a dungeon and the Great Fire, etc...

Is it worth a visit?

Also, some time ago, I read about a new attraction which was a medieval doctor's office/hospital....does anyone have any info on this?

(Note; I'm not morbid, just interested in seeing something a little different)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Dungeons

It is more like a house of horror based on London history. A bit theatrical. The teenagers love it and my daughter has dragged me through it twice. Now she has her brother all worked up for it on our trip next summer. Thank goodness Britfan told me about My Tea Shop so my mom & I will be waiting for the gang there while the rest squeel and scream in the Dungeons.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,060 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Dungeons

The London Dungeons get an almost universal thumbs down from many posters here. I've not been, so can't say one way or the other.

You may be thinking of the Old Operating Theatre, not far from London Bridge. www.thegarret.org.uk for more info. I've not been to that either (busman's holiday for one who works in the field) but I may have to toddle along, as it does look interesting. The Wellcome Collection has an interesting collection of ephemera, worth a look as well. www.wellcomecollection.org

www.rcseng.ac.uk is the website for the Royal College of Surgeons - their collection is housed at the Hunterian Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields (combine it with a trip to the Sir John Soane museum).

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Dungeons

You might be thinking of this hospital museum. It has been around a long time though.

Lots of other medical museums around London

Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Dungeons

Personally I thought the London Dungeon was deeply distasteful, but I went there immediately after the Abu Graib scandal when pictures of prisoners being tortured were constantly on the news..

As well as the operating theatre, the Wellcome Foundation has just opened a new museum which sounds interesting in its building in the Eurston Road. And the Hunterian Museum has just reopened at the Royal College of Surgeons. You can find details of both on the internet.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Dungeons

Also, the queues are huge. We frequent Borough Market on Saturday mornings and by 10am the queue is often over 100 people long!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,642 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London Dungeons

there are similar things in various "Dungeons" in most of the major cities in Britain,my nephew worked in the one in York whilst a student there,fine if you are 10-16 but you will learn nothing about history and maybe a little about local legends.

BTW the "actors" have a competition to see who can be the scariest,I have been on a couple of free triips in Edinburgh and York and found the scaries thing to be the price I would have had to pay if I did not have complimetary vouchers.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
668 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Dungeons

We went last year with our 3 teenagers - 18,15, and 12, and all had a great time. I probably liked the mirror maze the most. We bought our tickets on the net, cheaper and no queue, and although I thought they were expensive at the time, I changed my mind while we were there because it takes alot longer than I thought and obviously all the staff/ actors have to be paid.

Goes through London fire, plague, Jack the Ripper, torture, witch hunt, etc etc and was a great morning for the kids and a break from museums and churches.

Probably wouldn't go without kids but that's just me.

Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: London Dungeons

Worst type of tourist trap IMO, hugely overpriced.

But, some appear to like it as above.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Dungeons

It all depends on what you want to see. I have been to the dungeons and knew what I was going to be in for so I was going to be entertained rather than to be taught anything. Thought it was a laugh (and I left teenhood years ago).

If you want more "authentic dungeon" feel then I suggest the clink prison museum, not too far from the dungeons http://www.clink.co.uk/

I'm not sure how we got onto the subject of medical museums exactly, but the florence nightingale museum was very interesting www.florence-nightingale.co.uk/index.php

Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,795 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Dungeons

London Dungeons are as has been said tacky/schlocky stuff but surprisingly informative if you like a bit of gore. Probably best for those with a mental age of 14. The old operating theatre is nearby and worth a visit - one of the few surviving theatres (from whence comes the name) - where they do talks on a Sunday. If you'v ever had surgery worth going to see what you should be grateful for...

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor