We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

I plan to be at the Tin Goose, airside, Heathrow Terminal 1 at 2:00 PM November 30, 2007 for a pint or two. All Talfers are invited to join me. I worry about any talfers who show up, but there is a pint for the first to say hi to hoogo. I will be the overweight American with glasses, mousy gray/brown hair, black sweater, khaki pants, and a paperback book. Accept the usual disclaimers about weather, strikes, cancellations, staff shortages, etc., not to mention pilot error, metal fatigue, engine failure, mid-air collisions and the like.

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

Were you a recent contestant on "Beauty and the Geek?" Are you famous?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

I will be there in spirit. But I'm curious, where are you headed from T1 after your pint at the Tin Goose?

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

TP: Thanks for asking. I spend one night in Barcelona before my 15 day transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas. I going solo, without my wife and kids. I hope to return home and find that they enjoyed a vacation from me and that my key still fits in the door.

MBG. It is an honest discription of me. I did not mention that I also got a bad haircut. I was neither the beauty nor the geek on TV.

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

So where in the heck were you two weeks ago when FavHus and I had an 8 hour layover!!!

Luckily for us, we were rescued by the Good Fairy from Surrey who shall be nameless for security's sake, but who really was an angel to show us her part of the world.

Hope you have some folks who surprise you by sitting down at your table and saying, "OK, , hoogo, Im here to claim my pint!"

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

Hope you have a splendid time on your transatlantic cruise! Perhaps the beauty salon on board can remedy your bad haircut? You'll have plenty of time to shop for something very special for your wife who's minding the kids while you're gone! Mrs. Claus highly recommends something sparkly from the jewelry shop onboard! Enjoy!! (I STILL think you're famous!)

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

Thanks for the well wishes. My regular barber is on sick leave. Her replacement jabbed and pulled my hair while cutting off too much in most places. I must remind her of an ex-husband. I tell people the haircut is a show of support for my brother's chemotherapy. (He's fine, thank you.)

With "only" a five hour layover I won't venture from the airport. There should be enough time to buy some English tea and a souvenir shirt. I have a daughter who would like Kinder Eggs. Last visit they were not available airside at Heathrow. I went through immigration again just to get them. The immigration official was too polite to tell me what an idiot I was. He did not even roll his eyes.

I have disappointed my wife with both of my attempts to buy her jewelry on my own. She has to make very unsubtle hints. "Oh, look! That's just the bracelet I've been looking for..."

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

You're welcome! We've cruised Royal Caribbean several times and I love jewelry. Unfortunately, I am unavailable to come along as your personal shopper. I'm sure during your 15 days you'll be inspired and find just the right bauble. Maybe have her take a look at the Diamonds International website? Okay, now I'm getting you into trouble.... Have a great time!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

15 days afloat - nice.

Have you been through BCN airport before? It's not called El Prat for nothing, as it is a pain in the bottom to negotiate - iffy signage, long schleps from gate to baggage collection usually without the benefit of travelators, and the train station is way at one end of the airport. Again, travelators work on the si o no, que sera sera view of operation techniques.

Still, BCN is a lovely place, and what a port from which to start a journey. Bon voyage and smooth sailing.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

Aaaah!

I was two days too early.

Next time....

Barcelona recommend 4Gats on Carrer Montsio for superb dinner.

Emelda

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Micro-mini Talf pub meet at Heathrow November 30, 2007

Can't make it, but Happy ST Andrews Day!!