We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

Am about to reserve two tickets on the Euro Star for April and noticed that they have first and second class....on a two hour trip, would be tempted to go with the cheaper ticket unless someone thinks there is an important difference....please help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

First has now been given the rather silly name Leisure Select. It is a comfortable way to travel, I must say: seating is 1-2 instead of 2-2 with fewer seats in the carriage so more pitch between seats.

Hot meals appropriate to the time of day are served, along with wine, champagne and chocolates after service. Magazines and newspapers are available if you wish, in both English and French.

If not having those extras would make your trip seem endless and uncomfortable, then go for LS and hang the expense. If you'd be quite happy in Standard class with a snack you've brought with you, getting cosy with your travelling companion, then take the cash saved and spend it on something else.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

I agree- Standard class on Eurostar is already much better than any other domestic British train, and it's only a 2 hour trip, so go standard unless you fancy the extras; hot food, generous wine, and being fussed over . But check whether your travel agent can get you a cheap upgrade - this is often the case as part of a package or special offer, in which case it is worthwhile. I'm not inclined to pay the hefty extra usual cost!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

Go with the cheaper ticket. I've taken first class (when my company bought the ticket) and second class. The hot meal for first class is like economy airplane food ... totally not worth the price difference in my opinion. While the seats are a bit nicer, second class is still very comfortable.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

Happened to be passing this Forum and thought would comment. Caught the Eurostar in December last year - spent the extra for first class and was VERY disappointed. I hope they have changed their service since then because the food was inedible - seriously - I did not eat any of it and neither did my SO which is unheard of - and as for magazines, champagne, wine & chocolates? Never saw any. Swore we would travel second class and buy baguettes next time!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

I wouldn''t pay my own money for it. Yes, you used to get champagne and chocolates but you could but that at the station for a fraction of the difference. I think business people like it so they don't have to sit next to screaming children.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
643 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

We were on the Eurostar two weeks ago and travelled 2nd class and were more than happy with it!

norwich norfolk
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

been on both classes and the extra money for 1st class is definitely NOT worth it...only advantage is bigger seats and peace and quiet.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

I recently went 1st class (Leisure Select) Eurostar from London to Paris, having previously travelled both standard class as well as Business Premier.

Leisure Select allows you shorter boarding times, affords nicer seats, meals & drinks served at your seat (I found the quality overall good) and more peace & quiet.

I suppose it's a personal choice - I, for example, am quite happy to pay a bit more for more peace & quiet.

I also found the attendants more, err, attentive in Leisure Select and Business Premier.

For those who haven't heard of it yet, if you book from the UK, you cannot get single Leisure Select fares from London to Paris, only return tickets. The way around it is to select another country as your country of residence on the initial screen, e.g. Austria, and, hey presto, you're offered single Leisure Select fares.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

Verity had the most basic reason for upgrading - the noticeable lack of screeching children. Worth more than mere money.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro Star: 1st or 2nd Class

thank you all....sounds in general like it is not worth the extra $150 per person.....particularly since i don't drink champagne at 11 in the morning, even if they actually served it...i will take my chances on screaming children