We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please - where to stay

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Help please - where to stay

I have been to London once as a child and we stayed near the Opera House. I remember liking the area. I want to make a trip there this March and I'm not sure what would be the best area for me to stay in. We plan on doing all the tourist type things along with catching a show. We are three girls in our late twenties/early thirties that enjoys moderate lodging, pubs, beer and that wants to try the local cuisine. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please - where to stay

If you can get a room at a bargain rate, consider the Travelodge Covent Garden (www.travelodge.co.uk). Otherwise, you may like some of the hotels on Gower Street nearby: the Arosfa, Ridgemount, Cavendish, Arran House, Jesmond, Regency House or the Morgan (it's on Bloomsbury Street, but it's an extension of Gower Street).

The Gower Street hotels are more traditional in style, usually without lifts, but offering clean, comfortable accommodation with breakfast at good rates. You can walk to Covent Garden from Gower Street, or use any of the buses along the road, which have great connections.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please - where to stay

One more to add to the list in a great location just behind the Opera House but in a quiet court - The Fielding. Old fashioned so no lift and small rooms but bags of character and decent value.

http://www.the-fielding-hotel.co.uk/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d210069…

lmillertx
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please - where to stay

Hi GoBlue,

I agree with the above posts - I went to London when I was 19 with 2 college girlfriends of mine and we stayed on Gower Street at the Arran House. Something went awry with our reservation at another hotel, so we ended up walking all along the street looking for one, and each owner was so friendly and helpful, despite not having "any room at the inn" so to speak. Luckily, Arran House had a last-minute cancellation and was very lovely; the others along that row I'm sure would be too. A very cozy, moderately budget-friendly and comfortable B&B choice, and you will feel very safe in that area.

It's near one of the universities if I recall, so there are pubs in the area. Enjoy your trip!

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please - where to stay

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's overwhelming picking where to stay. I like what I see from the Arron. I purchased a frommers book on London tonight and I plan on doing some reading. Also, do you think 4 days is enough time to get a taste of London? Like I said, I was young when I was there and I don't think I appreciated London like I should have.

Again, many thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please - where to stay

Four days may be enough for you, but you may want more after your stay - it really depends on what you'd like to do and see.

The Arran House is a swell hotel. Staff are very friendly and patient; I quite like that guests can use the kitchen during off hours, as it really does save on meals. The place is very well maintained, and the shared washrooms and showers are impeccable.

There are masses of pubs on the far side of Tottenham Court Road, in Fitzrovia, so you should have a grand choice of where to go of an evening. Restos and cafes are quite nice as well, with the area having a good vibe to it.

6. Re: Help please - where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 04:18