We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcards - Important News

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,463 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcards - Important News

Transport For London have, in their wisdom, decided to start phasing out the 7 day travelcard. No timetable for the change has been settled but you currently cannot purchase one at a ticket machine except between 7.00am and 10.00am Monday through Wednesday. They can still be bought at ticket offices and elsewhere.

They believe that the computerised Oyster Card is quicker, cheaper (for whom?) and more secure. However you must pay a refundable deposit of 3GBP for one to go with a 7 day travelcard. It can be returned to any manned ticket office.

They assure me that they are aware of potential problems with regard to tourism and that they are looking at a tourist version of The Oyster Card.

One wonders if they plan to also phase out all paper travelcards although the gentleman I spoke to genuinely didn't know the answer to this.

They have promised to keep my updated and I will do the same here. You can get all the info about Oyster Cards at www.oysterdcard.com.

I would again stress that no timetable for withdrawl has been set and that for now, I will continue to recommend buying your travelcards (for whichever duration, 1,3 or 7 days) upon your arrival in London.

Hope that had covered everything but please do contact www.tfl.gov.uk if you have a query and you can also reach me at adamhornets@yahoo.com

detroit
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Thanks for the info, Adamhornets. We will probably get a 7-day card next week.

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Thanks Adam, talk about throwing another cat into the scramble, I'm sure this is going to confuse the heck out of those who already can't fathom the present Travelcard system.In any event, thanks for the news and future updates.

Happy posting.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcards - Important News

That's it. TfL have officially lost their collective minds. I bought a seven day Travelcard last month and was pleased to find it was still papery, but when I learned that any card of more than seven days' validity HAS to be an Oystercard, I bought one of them, too, just to get a step ahead. Didn't think I"d have to use it quite so soon, though....

Even though the person you spoke to at TfL said there's no plan to phase out paper Travelcards, I bet you a tenner there are meetings going on and studies being performed on just when that can go into effect without causing visitors to desert London entirely.

In case anyone is wondering, an Oystercard is a smart card, loaded with as many GBP as you wish; fares are meant to be capped, so you 'never pay more than you should' (I'm paraphrasing) - but a monthly Travelcard is a better deal than a seven day or one day card, so where is the savings? Need to do more work, or hear from Londoners who use Oyster regularly, plesae.

Thank you, Adam, for this - and please do keep us posted.

Nuts to TfL.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelcards - Important News

I recently switched from using a paper based travelcard to using an Oyster card. I used to have a monthly zone 1-3 travelcard but now I have a monthly zone 1-3 oystercard instead.

The main advantages are that I can renew the periodicity online each month so no more queueing at the train station to get a new travelcard and also no more having to get the travelcard out of it's wallet to put through the ticket machine. I just touch the wallet on the reader and the barriers open.

I haven't had any problems yet but if you get a pre-pay oysetcard i.e. you load it with a set amount of pounds and use it for one off trips, there are problems if you don't always touch the readers at the start and end of your journeys and you have to do this even if the gates are open. With a pre-pay oyster card, you do get cheaper fares than buying a one-off ticket. If using the pre-pay method, you can top up your card with more funds online as well.

The website for oyster is http://www.oystercard.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Should have added that at the moment you can only get 7 day or longer travelcards on the Oyster cards.

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Thanks Adam, as always, you are an excellent resource for us "wanderers"! It's bad enough with trying to decide on whether to take the Big Bus or the Original Bus, stay in a B&B or a hotel, stay in London central or on the outskirts, take the Heathrow Express or the tube, now it's a day card or an Oyster! Yikes! The options are confusing us foreigners!!!! Thank heavens the Brits speak English so we won't have a language barrier to overcome! Cheers!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelcards - Important News

lbb: Sorry, but am laughing about your last comment re: language barrier. I think of all the times when I had to have someone "translate" what they just said. You may also hear a bit of Welsh in your travels.

Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelcards - Important News

OTL - speaking of language barriers, I just have to say how funny your story was about the elderly lady asking you if her bun had dropped and you searching the floor for a hot cross bun-lol. I've told that story a few times to some of my friends and relatives and always get a chuckle :-)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Offtolondon: My thought exactly! ditto chuckle.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelcards - Important News

Piccadilly & Britfan: I know, I know. Now I can laugh about it. Although at the time, I was somewhat perplexed until I realized we weren't on the same page. Then embarrassment set in. That's when I made the escape.

Adam: Do you think they'll end up reinstating the weekend travelcard?