We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united states
14 posts
Save Topic
yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Thanks for posts, now after looking in a guide book at pictures we are terribly torn, Devon, Cornwall, Cotswolds and Yorkshire Dales all look so pretty! We want to take a train to the smallest city where we can still rent a car. Then drive to explore an area. Is Yorkshire Dales within reach? We will leave London on a Sunday morning and need to be back by Wednesday night to fly out to the states the next day. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

I would choose North Devon myself- a favourite of mine.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

You can go to any of those places, although Cornwall is probably too far. Your problem is going to be renting a car on a Sunday, which limits you to London and major airports.

But you could take the two hour train ride to York, spend Sunday visiting York, and then renting the car Monday morning.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Bluebell that is an excellent idea, I am originally from The Yorkshire Dales. There are other great places where you could also have a good time. rather than North Devon, I would say Penzance, but Scotland and the lake district are also great.

For the dales though, your best bet is to get a train to Leeds and pick your car up there. In the Yorkshire dales I recommend the following places very strongly, in driving to them you'll be going through some of the prettiest scenery I have ever seen:- Dent, Bolton Abbey, Grassington, Linton, Malham (here you should go to see Malham Cove and also Janet's Foss) Kilnsey, Skipton (quite a good place to use as a base)

I could go on and on particularly with details of great pubs and restaurants, if you post your email address, I'll send more info

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,422 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Hi Bluebell and welocme to the forum.

Great idea from Ron. Two hours by train from Kings Cross so you could be in York by lunchtime. Check times and fares at www.thetrainline.com.

There are loads of hotels and B&B's to suit all pockets within a 10 to 15 minute walk of the station. Check out www.york-tourism.co.uk

From York you could go west to the Dales and visit places such as Harrogate, Richmond and Masham as well as some wonderful scenery or east to the Moors to take in Castle Howard, The North York Moors Railway and the coast at Whitby. And that's just for starters! You could either take the train back to London on Wedesday afternoon or drive to Heathrow to return the car although there will be a one way hire charge.

Have a great trip whatever you decide to do and please do ask more questions.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

York is a wonderful town and should be visited but it's not in the dales, leeds is very close to the dales whereas York sits is a vast flood plain, there is no scenery in the vicinity of York.... just flat field after field after field

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,422 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Stempler,

Sorry to disagree but York gives you the options of heading east to The North York Moors as well as west to The Dales as well as being a great historic city in it's own right. You could be in Harrogate in half and hour and deep in the dales within another 20 minutes.

Leeds on a Sunday afternoon (I was there a couple of months ago) is pretty quiet with only The Royal Armories to visit and as you cannot hire a car to get away, I would really think York the better option in this case.

Be a boring world if we all agreed!

Adam

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Howdy Adam,

Not a case of agreeing or disagreeing!! I am correct and you are wrong!! My folks came to England with William the Conquerer in 1066, in 1069 he gave my ancestor York in repay for wartime services. I regret that my family no longer owns anything more than a few houses but we've been there for nigh on a thousand years.....

The heart of the dales are a fair drive from York, Leeds is the best large place to reach them from. look on the bright side, this is a great opportunity for you to get back to god's country and prove yourself wrong whilst marvelling at some of our finest scenery. To further demonstrate my goodwill in victory, I'll give you an insider tip:- have lunch at The Fountain Inn in Linton, great old world pub in a beautiful setting and follow up with a walk through the strid woods at nearbye Bolton abbey.

Off to the pub for Friday evening libations now. Thunder and lightning in London. a good weekend to all

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Dont listen to those two bluebell you will love north Devon!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Stempler -- LOL!

What are "strid woods"?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,422 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yorkshire dales-a reasonable side trip?

Strid Woods isn't an Australian golfer but a small river in and around Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales.

Pictures etc at http://www.brillmusica.com/images7.htm

Much as I may disagree with Stempler (now tucked away in pub, the lucky *%&%) he's right about the thunder and lightning and rain. Better tomorrow the say.