We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Hello all! I have a situation that has arisen due to lack of planning/negligence. My girlfriend and I will be in London on January 8th-10th (It's the first time for both of us). Don't worry, my definitive trip to London is forthcoming, as this is just a quick taste of the city. Now here's the problem we have encountered.

We're flying out of Stansted to Rome on RyanAir on the 10th at 8:40 AM, and our hotel is across the street from Hyde Park. We booked tickets for the Stansted express out of Liverpool Street Station. Can we get there in time for airport security, any customs, lines, etc, by taking the Underground to Liverpool Street? I understand the trains start at about 5-5:30 AM, which would get us to Liverpool Street at about 6-6:30, and then on the train for the 46 minute ride to Stansted. I wonder how quickly we would be able to go through Stansted and onto the plane with one checked bag each.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we should take a taxi, but I don't want to shell out the money for it, mainly because I probably can't afford it. How much exactly would it cost to go from the top of Hyde Park to Liverpool Street Station in a taxi, and is there a cheaper alternative that early in the morning, before the Underground starts running? Thanks so much for your help! I'm worrying myself over this.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

"...and is there a cheaper alternative that early in the morning, before the Underground starts running?"

You mean like the number N8 all-night bus which would take about 25-30 minutes to get from Hyde Park to Liverpool Street station and runs every 20 minutes:

…tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/JP12__000003d4.pdf

You will be able to use your Oyster Card or Travelcard on it, so it will be your cheapest option.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here regarding transport, and there are a number of alternatives so you won't need a taxi especially as Jan 10th is a weekday (Thursday).

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Oh thank you so much. The N8 all-night bus sounds like a much better option than taking a taxi. Unfortunately, the link you posted didn't work for me, but I will research it and hopefully find it. If not, I will come back and kindly ask you where you found it. Thanks so much again! This solves a big problem for us.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

If you cut and paste the link into the address box, then it should work for you.

(For information, if you and/or your partner have seen the night bus in some of the "Harry Potter" movies, that's a pretty accurate description of them.)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

You should not have any problems at Stansted early on a Wednesday morning.

Don't forget the low 15kg bag allowance for Ryanair.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Where is your hotel? Maybe a short bus hop to Oxford Circus and then the Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale where you can pick up Stansted trains.

Just a thought.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

"across the street from Hyde Park" covers a lot of ground - it's a bit like saying you are in a hotel across the street from Central Park.

So where is your hotel (name, street) as the earlier advice may be wrong.

It might be easier, for example, for you to pick up a coach at Victoria or Marble Arch tha will take you direct to Stansted

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

My apologies all. The hotel we'll be staying at is the Park Inn Hyde Park, at 66 Lancaster Gate. Lancaster Gate, naturally, is the closest station to us.

The link that was provided above still doesn't work, as I've tried cutting and pasting it. So, I went to the site in general (which was very helpful) and typed in the information, and it told us that:

1. They would be doing construction on the route we need to take on the N207 bus and

2. We need to transfer busses at Tottenham Court Road Station on the N8 bus and get off at Liverpool Street from there.

Is this correct? Thank you all for your help!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Lancaster Gate Station Stop: LA

Take the Route Bus N207 towards Holborn / Red Lion Square

Tottenham Court Road Station Stop: Z

Take the Route Bus 242 towards Homerton Hospital

or Route Bus N8 towards Fernie Close

A 242 runs 24 hours a day, hence no "N" prefix.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Hmmmmmm

i'm unconvinced by all the previous stuff

You will probably make your flight ok but it all seems a bit risky to me

at best you are paying for a night in a hotel and getting up very early (ie in the middle of the night)

Have you thought of going to stansted as late as possible the night before? LOTS of people camp out overnight - i guess they either had poor connections or couldnt be sure to catch very early flights any other way

if you arrive very late at stansted you will find all the comfy seats gone!! but you can bring sandwiches a couple of bottles of wine sit at a coffee bar

Doze on and off catch a couple of hours shuteye on the flight and you will be fine by rome

main advantage is that anxiety of missing the flight is gone

and you save on a nights hotel cost

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyde Park to Liverpool Street

Well, fortunately, the hotel was free for us, so it wouldn't be a real loss either way, but we did want to enjoy as much of a sleep in a comfortable bed as possible.

I threw the idea of spending the night in the airport at the girlfriend and she put her foot down (you know how those women are when they do things like put their foot down), so we're just going to have to wake up super early and take the bus. The first Stansted Express train leaves at 4 something in the morning. I'd imagine if we got to Stansted at 5 something, that would be plenty of time to catch a flight at 8:40. I'm not looking forward to getting up that early, but it's not the first time. I suppose we'll get our temporary fix of London nightlife the previous night (if there is any on a Tuesday night).

Are there any good pubs around Hyde Park? It's so difficult trying to get to know a city's layout and practices before ever visiting it. Anyway, thank you all again, I really do appreciate the help.