We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

For many years I have harboured the dream of a side trip from London to Portmeirion.Every once in awhile I try to figure out the best way to get there.This is what I've come up with---

London to Birmingham by train

Birmingham to Porthmadog by train

Porthmadog to Portmeirion by local bus(?)or taxi---

Does anyone know if this is the best way?Any other suggestions?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

It is an amazing place, unlike anywhere else in the UK.

Both rail sites are playing up tonight so I can't confirm the very best route but that sounds right. You can get off at Minffordd, rather than go all the way to Porthmadog, from where it is a 25 minute walk. I am not sure it is doable as day trip though. You can stay overnight at one of two hotels in the grounds but I believe it's expensive. There is more affordable accommodation in Porthmadog. A car gives you freedom but I realise that may be impractical.

Please let me know if you need timings worked out. If it's easier you can reach me at adamhornets@yahoo.com

www.portmeirion-village.com

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

According to the Arriva Wales timetable, the change of trains takes place in Wolverhampton, not Birmingham. Other than that, I think you have it right.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

Adam H

Part of the dream is to actually stay at Portmeirion.We're talking aboutgoing to Paris and the Channel Islands on our next London trip so I won't need times just yet(I have the National Rail website bookmarked so I will be able to plan my schedule).Thank you both for the information.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Experts----Transportation from London to Portmeirion

Portmeirion has two hotels and a number of cottages with rooms each one is different.

It is expensive to stay, a word of warning you need to make a reservation well in advance this place books up very quickly.