We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent visit

Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Recent visit

There is a certain inevitability about London, one shall run out of time before one runs out of pubs. We had a great time just recently in London, and each day we would return to a pub which we really liked and finished off a perfect day with a really good pint. Rather than try to visit several different pubs, we concentrated on one, Angel, in Islington. I did not get through their entire list of beers, but made a substantial dent. The food was excellent, tried the fish and chips and a holiday treat with Yorkshire pudding, chicken breasts, potatoes, steamed brussel sprouts and carrots topped off with two helpings of gravy. Man, what a treat. My wife and I shared one meal, and it was very filling.

Now back to the more important stuff, beer. I tried a pilsener from Turkey, with a strong after taste of cardboard, an India Pale Ale with an overwhelming junniper berry flavour, two different ales with mixed emotions and finally a fine lager from the Czechs. My, my what a nice beer. To show my appreciation for this fine beer, over a period of four evenings I drank several bottles.

Thanks again to the person who suggested Rosebery Hall, a dorm for the London School of Economics. Great location, good bus and tube connections, quiet, clean, safe and comfortable. The 38 bus between Islington and Victoria station is really convenient. It passes on Charing Cross Road, China Town and Leister Square. December is a great time to visit London. Fewer tourists, greater access to theatre tickets. Wicked and Billy Eliott not to be missed. Really appreciated those productions.

If you appreciate beautiful poeple try visiting Harrods. They easily have the most beautiful sales ladies and the handsomest young clerks in the world. Better than Gallery Lafayette in Paris. Very friendly youngsters. Man what a town. I could go on forever.

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Tour Londres
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent visit

Glad you enjoyed. And took the time to post

All hail to the ale (as a well known landlord likes to say).

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent visit

The sales ladies in Horrids may be easy on the eye, but have you seen the owner ?

Level Contributor
59 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent visit

How does one go abut contacting the School of Economics to stay at a dorm?

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent visit

What a great post Swift! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! What was the name of the beer you liked? I'm always afraid to try random beers. Being such a penny pincher, I'm afraid I'll get a really nasty one, but have to drink it anyway because I paid so darn much for it!! =)

I too was curious about your comment on Rosebery Hall... What's the story on that?

I just also had to mention, I'm in Yukon too! What a small world!!

Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent visit

Rosebery Hall accomodations can be reserved by contacting www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations. Rooms for us were 50 pounds per night with the grand breakfast. The beauty of the bkfst is that you aren't hungry until late afternoon. Enjoy a light snack in late afternoon and then to a nice pub for a few pints and a nice meal. One night we went to St. George's Tavern just up the street from Victoria station. Had something called a "toad in the hole". A nice yorkshire pudding with choice of several sausages, mashed, gravy and some other veggies which I have forgotten. Reasonably priced and durable pub grub.

Being a wanna be Czech from Yukon, Ok, I couldn't resist the Czech beer called Kozel. It is a fine lager. Drink Pilsner Urquelle in Okieville and really enjoy it. Next time in London will try the hard ciders.

Imagine another Yukonite who likes beer. Small worled

Level Contributor
7,060 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent visit

Carboard is a flavor most brewers try to avoid. As a home brewer, we figured the cardboard taste was a sign of oxidation caused by storing too long at too high a temperature.

Juniper sounds much better, but I like my beer to taste like beer.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent visit

Imperial College also does the same thing but during the summer vacations only. They are worth looking at because their accommodation is near to Harrods, the Albert Hall, Natural History Museum etc,

8. Re: Recent visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:18