We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So, how was your Christmas dinner?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
So, how was your Christmas dinner?

With so many people posting questions asking what restaurants would be open on Christmas day, I was curious to hear back from our London Christmas travelers to find out how they made out.

If you were visiting London over Christmas, where did you end up having Christmas dinner, how did you get there, how was the overall experience and how did you spend the rest of your Christmas day?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,014 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

Kay,

I suspect most of those folk are still in London and hopefully enjoying themselves but I was thinking the same as you so it is worth keeping this bumped up so that we can get some Christmas Trip Reports in due course.

Hopefully I should meet a few of the families at the pub meet on Sunday and I will of course ask the relevant questions.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

Well, I had chicken cordon bleu with green beans provencale (Julia Child recipe) and herb-roasted potatoes. . .

Only thing wrong was, I wasn't in London! I was at home with a crackling fire and the dogs!

(This is also meant simply as a bump.)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

I am in fact, as the previous poster guessed, still in London and having a wonderful time. Trip report will be forthcoming when I am home and typing on a more hospitable keyboard than my phone's, but I'll say now that we had a delicious and interesting meal at an Iraqi restaurant, Mahsgouf, in Knightsbridge. Entire meal was less than quoted per person at some of the pubs, too.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

Only thing wrong with mine was that as vnrose said, it wasn't in London/England (I'll take either).

Menu:

Roast beef

y. puds (made them from scratch for the first time!)

sprouts

roast tatties

corn pudding

butternut squash

lashings of beef gravy (the best part)

Key lime pie (not trad but goood!)

Nest year in England!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

I'm not in the UK but we had a Turkey dinner with some family who are celebrating their first Xmas with 3 children having had last Xmas with just 1!!!

In the name of making me feel at home some Christmas Crackers had been bought (not a common thing here) and when all pulled them together with an excellent bang.

There was a second or two of silence then as the babies filled their lungs and signalled the end of adult time.

Happy New Year.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

I prepared a traditional Christmas dinner for my patient and two of her sons on Christmas Eve, then went back Christmas Day to warm leftovers so they had another hot meal. Menu was:

Roast turkey

Giblet gravy

Cornbread dressing

Mashed potatos

Southern style green beans

Corn pudding

Giblet gravy

Macaroni & cheese

Pecan pie/fresh fruit/

Christmas cookies/

homemade candy

Enjoyed by all! (twice)

Christmas Day I then went home and prepared for my family in the evening:

Cranberry meatballs

Potato salad

Potato chips & onion dip

Tortilla chips & con queso dip

Christmas cookies & candy

Spiced apple cider

Next year, may I be in England!

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday meals, wherever they were.........

tbb

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

So, are any of our Christmas London travelers home yet? Let us know how you spent your Christmas day in London. :o)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

We were in London on Christmas Day...arrived the 24th. Our dinner was very unconventional but fab just the same. We had: Salad, baby lettuce with thinly sliced red onion, blue cheese (from Neal's Yard) with smuggled toasted walnuts and a homemade vinegarette with smuggled Carrabba's olive oil and herbs.

Fresh spinach stuffed ravioli with grated parm.

Steamed asparagus. Crisp white Reisling wine.

Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream with Chocolate crisp cookies.

As I said very different than what we would have had in the USA but we purchased most of the items at Borough Market, it was all very fresh and yummy. The rest was ordered from Sainsbury and delivered.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

lv2cook, so you were in an apartment? That would be the ideal solution for the Christmas dinner dilema. Sounds like you had a great meal. You'll always remember it because it was different - I'll always remember the lobster and red snapper Thanksgiving we had in Jamaica. What did you do the rest of the day?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So, how was your Christmas dinner?

Hey kayb95...I'm originally from Michigan. Yes we were in a rented flat which I would highly recommend to anyone traveling to London. We had breakfast every morning and dinner at night. Ate lunches out. Not they type of trip most women would love...but for me part of the adventures in travel is the challenge of cooking different foods in strange kitchens.

Christmas Day 2007 in London dawned gray and drizzly. We had a big breakfast and then set out on foot from Lambeth North. We walked over Westminster Bridge, past the House of Parliment, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey. Continued all the way to Victoria station to pick up the Original Bus tour. We had hot beverages at The Thistle Hotel. Jumped off the tour and walked back to the flat where we "created" dinner and then played Texas holdem till bedtime....oh yes, we watched the Queen's greeting.