We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

england
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

I'm going to be staying in Kingston for 3 days, wanting to use the train to get into London and tube (zone 1) once I'm there. Travelling with one teenager (under 15). We do have oyster cards but probably best to put a 3 day travelcard on them? I'm happy with off peak travel but not clear if that means after 10 or 9.30 for the trains?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,355 Reviews
from US$131.50*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$140.20*
US$155.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$350.20*
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,157 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

For some obscure reason best left to TFL you cannot put a 3 day travelcard on Oyster - it's a paper only ticket. You may be better off putting PAYG on it and topping up if necessary. Post peak is 9.30am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

A 3 Day off-peak travelcard costs £20. The PAYG off-peak cap is £6.50 (zones 1 - 6) a day. That's £19.50.

It's not straight-forward, is it?

england
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

but PAYG doesn't work too well on National Rail does it? That's why I thought I'd be better with a travelcard - and then the teen travels for 1 pound. Fare to/ from Kingston is going to at least 4 pounds a day anyway so the extra for a travelcard is not great.

I find all the websites explaining oyster about as clear as mud! Sort of understand it when you are just using tubes/buses but add in the rail service and it gets too much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

That's right - you'd have to go to Richmond to use PAYG Oyster.

I think maybe the 3 Day travel card would be best then. But I'm not very sure on this.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,442 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

Get a Travelcard. Since PAYG is not available on trains to and from Kingston, and the London Overground connections to and from Richmond may be a bit out of the way for you, a Travelcard will remove potential aggro.

A three day offpeak Travelcard at £20 is a bargain, even though it's sold as a paper ticket (fiddly, but there it is). The Travelcard allows unlimited use on the Tube, buses and DLR as well as the train, so once you have it you're good to go.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
england
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

turns out the best solution was 3 separate day travelcards, because of the discount you get with a Family railcard. Very helpful person in waterloo information told me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

We can only give advice on the information offered. If I had known you had a railcard the advice I would have given you would have been different. You get a discount on All Zones Off-Peak Day Travelcard if you have a railcard.

But I'm glad you found a helpful person.

8. Re: travelcard better than oyster PAYG?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:18