We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meeting people when travelling alone

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
meeting people when travelling alone

For the first time I will travel alone in London. I've been 3 times in London and I love the city. I will stay for about 5 weeks next summer in London. I am a woman and I wonder if there is some activities or tours that are a good way to meet people.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

I'll give you my number. ;-)

Seriously, perhaps find something that interests you and go to a talk/tour/class/recital. People are generally friendly if you start a conversation, especially if you have something in common.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

There have been scores of useful threads about this subject. Here's one -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k14081…

Time Out magazine published every Wednesday is a great magazine for up to date news and what's on listings and a walk with Original London Walks (pub or otherwise) is a great way to meet people and learn some fascinating stuff. www.walks.com

And of course there is always the possibility of a TALF pub meet!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

Thank you very much for your reply jdbri!:-)

On my prvious visits in London, I notice how British peoples are kind and friendly. I just check here if someone know some specific tours or activities. Maybe someone had a good experience to share ? If not, I am sure I will enjoy myself anyway. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

Wow Adam! I am glad you send me this link. I didn't saw it before.

And for sure I will join the meeting if there is a TAFL meeting in July or August !! :-)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

I always recommend joining www.flickr.com and going to the London meet-up group. You don't have to be a professional photographer but sometimes it's fun to be doing something with a group of other people rather than just sit around in a pub or restaurant. They have about 3 or 4 events every month including a visit to a different London street market each month.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

Thank you Glyn1 for your recommandation.

Adam, I've all the afternoon reading about those fascinating walks !! Wow!! and it is not expensive! I already choose some walks for my interests.

Thank you so much!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

Going to the proms concerts at the Albert Hall can be a good way to get chatting to people. The Albert Hall is extremely beautiful inside, and the orchestras are the creme de la creme. Even if you are not normally a classical music fan, the whole experience is well worth it.

everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1899352

Although you can get seats, the best way to meet people is to promenade (which only costs £5). To do this, go to the Albert Hall (closest station South Kensington) and join either the queue for the arena or for the gallery.

Queueing for the arena is more popular than for the gallery, but I prefer the gallery as there is more space and you can sit on the floor. The dedicated start to queue early, but then a lot of people arrive after work, so if you can plan to arrive just before those people, much the better for you! Also, the more obscure the programme, the fewer people attend.

There are limited eating options in the area, so it might be helpful to bring a snack with you and also a cushion or something to sit on. If it's a hot day outside, it will be hot inside, so wear light clothes and have some water.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

Agree that London Walks are a great way to meet people. Their Explorer Days give more time to get to know people too. The flip side is that you could be pestered by someone wanting to latch on for the whole day, so a good idea to have a book or headphones handy.

If you enjoy crafts, I'd recommend a class at Blade Rubber Stamps near the British Museum.

www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/site/classes.php

9. Re: meeting people when travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 23:19