We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Topic
BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Full report at the link below and thankfully there was no deaths or serious injuries but it has led to delays and some flights being diverted as the south runway is closed. The north runway is still open.

…bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

oh my - how scary - luckily no one was seriously injured. Thanks for sharing Mick.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

mick - in the report I read it stated the plane overshot the runway - sounds better than 'crash landed'. Let's not get the natives shaking in their shoes....!

Poppa

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Poppa,

I admit it, I nicked the headline from the BBC report!!!

And the plane didn't overshoot the runway, it landed short of it on the grass. Reading other reports, it seems like the pilot did a good job in getting the plane down as safely as he did as there may have been problems with the plane. We shall of course have to wait and see what the official report comes out with to know for sure though.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

A bit of melodrama for the media on a slow news day. Hardly the first time in history a plane has missed the runway, I'd bet it will happen many more times around the world this year.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

No mere melodrama if you were a passenger. Apparently the pilot had to glide it in after electronic failure. Hero or what?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Melodrama, it looks like but for the skill of the pilot there could have been some serious fatalaties. Apparently all the electronics failed and he just missed landing on the M4. If he had done the plane would almost certainly have broken up and many people, including on the ground, would almost cetainly have been killed.

A bit worrying on one of the most modern planes in the world that all the electroinics failed.

Looks like the pilot should be given a medal or at least be allowed to sleep with Kate Moss as a reward!!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

ronaldC: why punish the pilot in such a way? Anyway in these PC days, one mustn't assume s/he would want a female whatever s/he is!

Also, hardly melodrama, this was a very serious incident, houses and roads just missed, other planes just missed esp one 747 quite close, plane is "broken". Very modern 777 appears to have suffered a catastrophic failure.

Wonder why TA have removed my posting (with NO comment) esp as it made it clear in the "headline" that no one was hurt. Also as another thread had sprung up (and why not?), I was concentrating on giving breaking travel info (IS THIS NOT A TRAVEL ADVICE SITE - TA????).

Don't folk accessing this forum want to know that many arriving flights are being diverted and many departing flights have been cancelled or delayed severely?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Scary stuff indeed, it doesn't look like it's over shot the runway, more like it's tryed to reach the runway without power and almost didn't make it.

Making it over the perimiter but landing short of runway.

Remember the BMI plane that cut power in both engines, that almost made the runway with no power but didn't quite, hitting the motorway, resulting in a tragedy!! :-(

Stoofer

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

Here's some of the effects of the crash

All British Airways short haul flights out of Heathrow cancelled for the rest of the day

Some long haul flights cancelled

Many other long haul flights from Heathrow departing late, currently about two to three hours in many cases

The scheduled British Airways flights from Manchester Airport to Heathrow at 1540, 1705, 1850 and 1940 are cancelled.

11 incoming flights diverted to Gatwick

Four incoming flights have been diverted to Luton

Five incoming flights have been diverted to Stansted

For up-to-date information on later flights, contact your airline

Plus there's traffic problems around T4

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BA plane crash lands at Heathrow

mick - the reports I saw early on were from 4 different news agencies and three of them gave different reports....I guess I should have waited to post....oh well, however, any untoward incident involving an aircraft is certainly serious and in this case it appears the skill of the pilot was indeed the reason for the lack of any injuries etc.....

Poppa