We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wei
Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Is Greenwich worth visiting?

I read many reviews on this place. None of them gives a clear picture about what I can see and do there.

Is it really worth visiting?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Its a pretty boat ride from Westminster bridge. But that's about it.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Greenwich really is worth visiting yes, naval museum, naval college, cutty sark, 100 year old tunnel under the thames, great pubs (trafalgar), nice stretch of Thames River path, Indoor market (food, bric a brac, antiques), greenwich meridian, grenwich park

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Greenwich should be in your top 5 places to see. There is so much history there.

The Maritime Museum, the Observatory, the views over London and the general feel of the place.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

I have visited three times, so I guess I must have thought it was worth visiting. But why don't you tell us what you would visit instead, if you didn't go to Greenwich? Then we would have something to compare its worth to.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Everything everyone else has said pro-Greenwich, plus Queen Mary's House(?), the Painted Hall (naval college), the Gipsy Moth, charming small village, cheap interesting bookstores, Queen Elizabeth I's tree (! -- interesting story) in the park, watching children chase or try to charm the many squirrels there, the lovely interior of St Alfege Church.

You might enjoy this: Take the Docklands Light Rail (part of the central Tube system) to Island Gardens, dismount and enjoy the wonderful view of Maritime Greenwich across the Thames. If you go before noon the sun will be in your camera lens so go later. It's very pretty. Then walk through the foot tunnel under the Thames to emerge at the Cutty Sark.

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

YES! YES! YES! take the Docklands Light Railway and cruise back to central London.

The Royal Naval Observatory, The Cutty Sark, the town of Greenwich itself plus the Prime Meridian (where time begins) are some of the reasons to visit this lovely town.

Check out the Royal Naval Collegeand browse through some of the shops and have a pint at one of the pubs. We always make a point of going downriver to Greenwich for lunch each time we visit London.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Yes to Greenwich, yes to DLR down and cruise back or vice versa. Yes to Cutty Sark and all of the above.

And...if you are at all into intriguing engineering type things, it's worth paying for the extra little segment on the boat out to see the Thames Flood Barrier up close and personal.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Oh....and in another of the "intriguing engineering type things" category: grab a seat at the front of the train on DLR. It's entirely computer controlled, so there is no driver and you get a rare view ahead down the tracks as the train magically stops and starts in all the right places (if they're having a good day).

(Okay, just kidding on that last bit. It's very safe.)

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Tony,

I forgot about that-we did it on our first visit several years ago, if you have young kids you can make believe you are the driver-psyches 'em out.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Greenwich worth visiting?

Is the center of the world worth visiting?

For several centuries Greenwich was considered the center of the world. We still base time on Greenwich Mean Time.

Read up on some of the history, there is a good, concise one on www.wikipedia.org