We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card--touching in and out

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card--touching in and out

Let's say I'm travelling by Tube from Victoria to St Pauls, with a change at Oxford Circus from the Victoria line to the Central line. This would cost 1.50 according to tfl.gov.

So...would I touch my card only at Victoria and St Pauls? Or Victoria, Oxford Circus, and St Pauls?

You don't touch the card every time you change from one line to another, right?

(I promise I've spent hours reading these threads and the TFL website, and couldn't find this answer.)

Steilacoom,WA
Level Contributor
125 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

Right -touch to get in, touch to get out. Transfers from one line to another don't take you out of the station. I did have one "blip" using the Paddington tube (as opposed to the Paddington train station) to access the Hammersmith & City line. If you have an Oyster card you wouldn't care,but if you were buying individual trips you'd want to make sure you accessed H&C through the train station and not through the tube station.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

If you're travelling directly from Victoria to St Paul's, you'll not leave the fare-paid zone.

Victoria line to Oxford Circus; there you'll alight at platform 6 and walk to platform 2 for the eastbound Central line. You'll go down a couple of sets of stairs, plus two long-ish walks through corridors but no ticket gates. Central line to St Paul's, and when you leave the station, that's when you'll touch out.

In the very great majority of cases, you'll need to touch in and out to gain access and egress to the platforms at Underground stations. The exceptions are, say, when you're travelling with a piece of rolling luggage and need to use the gate operated by a staff member. There is an Oyster touch pad near every gate, so don't forget to touch in and out should you use those gates.

DLR stations operate as honour stations, so again it's crucial to touch in and out at the beginning and end of each journey if you're using PAYG. Fare inspectors do patrol the DLR, and a Penalty Fare of £20 isn't worth it.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

If you want St Paul's Cathedral from Victoria go to Mansion House on the Circle Line. It is direct and although very slightly further from the cathedral it will be much quicker as you won't have to change trains.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

Not sure if the above answers are clear (they weren't to me and I live here). You do not need to touch in and out at interchanges on the tube (ie changing lines) and won't experience the need to, ie barriers. (there used to be an anomaly at Kings X when changing from Victoria/Piccadilly lines but redevelopment has removed this problem.

You do need to touch in and out when going through barriers to tube lines even if they are 'open' and touch in on each new bus journey. It's more obvious when you're using the system if that's any consolation!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

OMG! I was contemplating getting an oyster card even though Im not sure its worth me getting one other than for the 2 for 1 offers; but after reading this thread Im even more determined NOT to get one. Im even more confused!

After a night out round covent garden area we need to get back to our hotel (liverpool street station / aldgate area), how much can I expect to pay on the tube for 2 adults and 1 child? Or how much could I expect to pay for a taxi?

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

Thank you everyone. My route was purely hypothetical.

It sounds like you touch the card when you walk into a station, then touch to get out of the final station. So it's kind of like not having to go through security again when you are changing planes.

I've been to London once, so I only have a mental picture from 10 yrs ago of how the Tube works. In AZ we just drive. :-)

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

If you don't have an oyster, using the buses and underground is quite a lot more expensive. Also, it really is simple - where there is a barrier to go through on the tube, touch the yellow pad with your Oyster. There are no barriers to go through when you change lines so don't worry. It really is simple when you put it into practice.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

rootsneeding - the tube will cost you £4 a journey per adult and anything between free and £4 for the child, depending on age, if you pay cash.

Using Oyster - a maximum of £1.50 each.

Child fares in London are even more complicated than Oyster......

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

"In AZ we just drive. :-)"

So what happened to the new bus tracks they were building when we were there last Spring?!

Roots,

A single journey on the the tube for adults is £4 (half price for under 16's) so a total of £10 but if you get an Oyster Card or even just a one day travelcard you will pay a lot less (depends exactly what you get) and your child will pay just £1 all day from 9.30am. The taxi journey would cost around £15.

10. Re: Oyster Card--touching in and out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 01:16