We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

Vetlanda
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

Hello

I am going to London whith a group och students aged 15-19 in march. Do anyone have a suggestion where to eat on a budget whith enough space for 30 youths whithout booking in advance?

Lena

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

You will need to book in advance, but many museums (both paid and free) have lunch rooms for the use of school parties where you can take your own picnic if you are visiting the museum.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

Unfortunately, most restaurants in central London that could give you that much free space without booking are not likely to be much good. The alternatives are going off the beaten track or eating at quieter times. I notice that some places (eg Angus Steak House) are quite empty between 2.30 and 6.00pm.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

The not booking in advance is the problem. Most places are happy to take medium sized groups especially early in the evening (5.00-6.30) but you really should look to book especially if it late March as that is when there will be a lot of North American groups here.

Some you can try -

* Wagamama

* Planet Hollywood

* Rain Forest Cafe

* Sticky Fingers

* Mr Fish

* La Tasca

Mentioned in this post
Mr. Fish
Mr. Fish
139 Reviews
London, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

Mcdonalds or Pizza Hut, I don't know any places you could just walk in with 30 people and expect a table.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,976 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

When my teen was in London last year as part of a very big school group they headed for Leicester Square. The teachers gave the kids ten pounds each and sent them off to find something to eat within that budget.

The kids (similar age group) did surprisingly well considering Leicester Square has its share of overpriced tourist places. Wagamama is just off the square and hugely popular with teens, as was Chiquitos and Hamburger Union, but there are plenty of other places to choose from. The kids would probably enjoy the freedom to choose and then regroup afterwards.

The museum idea is a great one too, as you could pick up some picnic food ahead of your visit. Museum lunch areas need to be booked though and probably have details on their websites.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburger Union
Hamburger Union
5 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

For a bunch of 15-19 year olds without booking you are probably best heading for places like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC. Not great, I know. Alternatively, try places like Pizza Hut...but you'll need to get in before/after the lunchtime rush.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

Perhaps these people might have some ideas:

http://www.londonsvenskar.com/

The adults in your group (18+) might like to visit The Harcourt Arms in 32 Harcourt Street almost opposite the Swedish Church:

www.theharcourt.com

This has Swedish staff and Swedish money is accepted.

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

I think many restaurant kitchens would find it hard to cope with cooking for 30 people who've arrived at the same time. How come you can't book ahead?

I would suggest a Pizza Express might be able to do it, a fair amount will depend on which day of the week it is, ie Saturday would be difficult, Monday a lot easier. You don't say whether it's lunch or supper?

If you walk down St christopher's Place (off Oxford Street, between Debenhams and Selfridges) there is a group of restaurants to suit all tastes quite close together in a little square.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

It's going to be a problem without booking in advance. As another poster has said, is there any particular reason why you wouldn't be able to book in advance?

If you think that you could book and you are going to the British Museum, you might want to try La Porchetta (a 5 minute walk from the museum). I've previously attended work dinners there, and, although it's a small restaurant, I think they might be able to take 30 in their downstairs dining room:

La Porchetta,

33 Boswell Street,

Bloomsbury,

London,

WC1N 3BP

(020) 7242 2434

Mentioned in this post
La Porchetta
La Porchetta
118 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
422 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat whith 30 pupils?

I'm a teacher, so I have often taken school parties on trips into London. It is true that most galleries and museums have school dining rooms where you can take your own picnics, but they are very popular and have to be booked up well in advance and you have to be actually visiting the galley/museum-you will be given a time slot for eating-usually about half an hour or so.

If the weather is OK, eat outdoors.There is a Pret-a-Manger (sandwich outlet) near the Tower of London which has a great view right by Tower Bridge.

Another good outdoors spot is across the Millenium

bridge outside the Tate Modern.

If the weather isn't so good, there are loads of places that are usually quite quiet at that time of year in Covent Garden-most of it is undercover and as it is self contained you could leave the kids to their own devices for a while by allowing them to split up before deciding on a time and a place to meet up after eating.