We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Warning*

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
*Warning*

*FACT* Parisians are rude

When I was little and my family & I went to Paris we were in a restaurant where my mum struggled with her best French but as soon as the waitress heard us talking to each other refused to serve us- luckily a friend (who had lived in Paris for 3 years) was with us and told her IN FLUENT FRENCH that we had been waiting & to serve us rather than ignore us to which she shrugged, finished what she was doing THEN came over

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.50*
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: *Warning*

*FACT* South Londoners are ignorant

I once read on a travel advice board about a South Londoner who went to Paris as a child, encountered one rude waitress, and concluded that all 10 million people living in greater Paris are rude.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: *Warning*

Have you ever been to Paris?

I go six times a year and COMPARED to Americans they are EXTREMLY rude and it makes us Brits wonder why Disney changed their mind about having a park in Spain for Disneyland Europe as they changed their mind at the last minute!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *Warning*

FYI I go for business and much preferred it in the old days when I went to Amsterdam as the receptionist in Paris ALWAYS sighs then frowns when I enter and is irritated by any requests I am entitled to during my stay WHEREAS in Holland NOTHING is too much trouble and I even get a few smiles!

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *Warning*

Speak for yourself - not "us Brits". You certainly don't represent my views.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: *Warning*

Exactly! why travel if you don't like foriegners?????? you'd be much better off staying in your kennel

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *Warning*

I stayed in Paris for 3 months, and found that all Parisians were really friendly. You shouldn't take a few anomalous experiences of Parisians as an accurate representation of the other inhabitants of the city. And stop posting crap stuff...you'll put other people off.

Sacramento
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: *Warning*

I have travelled all over Europe, South America and parts of Asia. I have found that most of the people I meet love America and Americans. The French are a glaring exception. It's the only nation I have visited recently where I was treated poorly by most folks once they found out I was American. I see no reason to continue to go, when there are so many other nations that have opened up in the last 20 years. Check out the countries that gained their freedom after the Soviet Union fell. And of course, England, where Americans are welcome.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *Warning*

*FACT* There are rude people all over the world.

Perhaps your hotel host knows you are going to be rude to her and rolls her eyes in expectation. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

A few rotten apples don't spoil the whole barrel.

We experienced rude people in Paris but we also had very helpful people. We met very rude Americans both in America and in France. We met lovely friendly Americans in France and Italy and have friends who are American or live in America.

Peoples attitudes are dependent on

1. Their upbringing

and

2. Can be changed by the way others treat them at a time.

Generalisations should not apply.

London, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: *Warning*

Dear all - don't let yourselves get too wound up by LMTav's postings on these forums - I have been reading them for a few weeks now and have concluded that he/she is completely mad. Enjoy your travels - as previous posters have said, there are rude people and nice people all over the world!

london
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: *Warning*

Well said Hickney, how can you type-cast all 15,000 waiters working in Paris when approx. 5% are Parisians and the rest are passing through.

I work with a number of Parisians in London and they are good colleagues.

If you had ever tried to get off a tube in London you would realise what rude is as people stream on ignoring your attemps to get off.

I think this person should have his account suspended for racist comments.

Vive Le france, Mark.