We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a bookstore!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FTP
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a bookstore!

My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan and, as luck has it, we will be in London for the release of the book on July 16. In the US, many of the large book stores have midnight parties for the release of a new Harry Potter book, does anyone know if any bookstores in London are planning the same type of thing. Can anyone recommend a large bookstore in London so I can pre-order a copy? If it makes any difference, we're staying in Bloomsbury. Thanks!!

Watford / London
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a bookstore!

Find the Waterstone's web page.

They have several branches that will be open at midnight

for the Harry Potter book.

Paul

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a bookstore!

Try Foyles or Waterstones both will be stocking it. Do't know about minight parties for this one but there were for the last one.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a bookstore!

Try Hatchards in London. Also, I've purchased the Harry Potter books (UK version) at Harrod's (I think Waterstones has a dept. in there.)

Riverside...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a bookstore!

FTP

Keep in mind that the version of the book you will purchase in London is different from the one in the US. Story is obviously the same but some of the words/phrasing in the UK version is quite "British".

The books I have bought for my son and I are the British versions because I thought it would be fun since I'm British and he's "half" and since the books are set there it seems more "real".

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a bookstore!

Closer to Bloomsbury are Blackwells, Waterstones on Cahring Cross Road.

But the Piccadilly branch of Waterstone's & Hatchards just a few doors along may offer a more atmospheric event. Some stores do a midnight special (!).

FTP
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a bookstore!

Thank you so much!! I had no idea that the British version would be different, that's going to make the book even more special. I better not tell my daughter though, she'll want the British version of all the books!

Watford / London
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a bookstore!

Bump

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a bookstore!

So far, neither Hatchards nor Blackwells have anything planned, according to the shops's' web pages. It looks as if most of the Waterstones stores will be open at midnight for the book's release - I even checked the Wimbeldon store (ie to see if the suburbs would keep up with town), and it will be all lights ablaze.

The Gower Street store will be open, for those in Bloomsbury.

Evidently Tesco are going to carry the book and are undercutting the price amazon.co.uk have set, so there may be a bit of a price drop between now and mid-July. Whatever one dealer does, the other will v likely follow. I've already had one giddy email from amazon saying 'we've dropped the price!!', so I'll be curious to see what next.

detroit
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a bookstore!

FTP, The Foyles on Charing Cross is great! Caution: if you are a book-lover, you might spend your entire vacation there. It has a great children's section. I bought several books there when I was in London recently. Here is the address and telephone number:

113 -119 Charing Cross Rd

Tel: 020 7437 5660

One book I bought for my six-year old was "Katie in London". It had been signed by the author! It was a neat little book to read when we got back. It had great illustrations of places we had visited - Tower of London, Big Ben, etc.

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a bookstore!

I ordered the new Happy Potter at the Waterstones branch in Notting Hill on my February trip. The clerk was unsure of any special celebration, however she said for the last issue their main outlet in Central London did have an event. As suggested, check Waterstones web site. Sorry, I can't do it from this computer, restricted, you know. Good luck, if they ahve a 'do' it should be fun, especially in London. Wish I was there!!