We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Meals Without Reservations

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Great Meals Without Reservations

My husband and I are leaving for London in 1 week and normally by this time I have everything planned, scheduled and dinner reservations made. But this trip I had planned to be more open to whatever might happen. I was just reading one of my London guides and now getting kind of nervous about dinner plans. I have read that unless you plan on eating in only pubs and fast food establishments, then you have to have reservations. Is these true? I would like to have a meal or two in a pub but not all my meals. Do you have any suggestions on a nice place to eat that is more relaxed and casual but that you do not need reservations to get into? I still have time to make reservations if I need to, but would rather not be on a time schedule this trip. Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$105.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.40*
US$333.80
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

I didn't feel that making dinner reservations conflicted with any sightseeing - most sightseeing attractions are during the day and close by (usually) 5 or 6, so how would that interfere with dinner later? And if you have theatre tickets, you surely know that, so you can reserve accordingly.

Maybe make reservations for just a couple of nights and wing it on the other ones?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,885 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

There are so many restos in London, you need not book unless you're looking for a meal at a smart or higher end place like Scott's, Petrus, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon or Fifteen.

For dinner at a modest price you'll have a huge choice of both restos and cuisines - have a peek at the Time Out Guide to Eating for some suggestions.

Bon appetit!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

The only place we've ever reserved a table at was Sticky Fingers in Kensington, but our small party showed up so early that a reservation wasn't really necessary. Even busy Trader Jacks at the Park Lane Hilton didn't need a reservation and we weren't staying there, I've dined there twice without problems.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

Sorry, I meant Trader Vics!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

Thank you so much for the replies. I feel much better. It is not that I thought reservations might interfere with sightseeing. I just wanted to be open to a restaurant we might find along the way and not already be tied to something else. That has happened to me many times. I will difinitely get the recommended books.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

With the exception of Friday and Saturday nights, and of course the more famous establishments, this is a relatively slow time of year for the restaurant trade - locals are still in post-Xmas diet/credit card shock mode and don't go out as much and it is a quieter time on the tourist front. Things change with the coming of spring (the real one, not this false blossom-inducing warm weather that we have had so far in January. - changing today)

7. Re: Great Meals Without Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 01:17