We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Hi, all,

My husband and I will be in London February 13-20. My husband is interested in steam engines. Is the Kew Bridge Steam Museum worth the trip out of town? Could it fairly easily be combined with a trip to Hampton Court? Is there anything steam-related closer in London that might satisfy his curiosity?

Thank you all for your help with my past questions and thanks in advance for any advice you might have with this one.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
980 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Hi,

Is is rail steam engines that your husband is interested in? If so, he should go and see Stephenson's original Rocket, which is in the Science Museum.

I realize this is a lot further out of London, but I'm told the National Railway Museum in York is fantastic for rail enthusiasts, including steam enthusiasts (not me, as you can see!). Your husband could have a look at their website to see whether it appeals (www.nrm.org.uk). You could easily to a day trip to York from London - there are fast trains about every half an hour from Kings Cross station. If you book a few weeks in advance it's not very expensive. The Railway Museum is right next to the train station in York, so there's no problem there. It's also an easy 10 minute walk to the Minster and the wonderful old town of York, where you could wander round the tiny streets for a couple of hours and have a delicious high tea at Betty's (a York institution and I've discovered, highly addictive) before catching a train back to London.

Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Intrepid75,

Thank you for your post. It is very informative and sounds like a fun day. I'll pass the info along to my husband, although he is actually less interested in train steam engines than steam engines in other applications. He is about to try to build a miniature steam engine and is interested in seeing some real full-sized engines and other miniatures if he can find any.

I have to say, I'm not sure I see the fascination here, but he's going to trail along with me for a number of things he isn't particularly interested in. So, I want to make sure we see some things at the top of his list.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

I enjoyed Kew Bridge Steam Museum and I'm not a massive steam buff or anything. I'd check their website for details to ensure you go when the big pump things are working. That was the most impressive thing about it.

I think, rather than Hampton Court, I would incorporate going to the museum with a spending a long half day at Kew Gardens (one of the best botannical gardens in the world). It doesn't take that long to get to Kew from central London, so I wouldn't let that worry you.

The Bluebell railway is also fun, and, looking at their website, it seems that you can catch a train from Victoria, and then a special bus to the Bluebell railway:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/

bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/…train

Hope that helps.

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Not really suitable for Hampton Court Palace combination. Kew Gardens if the weather is reasonable.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,084 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

I spotted today a new Musical Museum right next to the Steam Museum in Brentford High Street. If a botanical gardens is not you, Syon House is nearby:

http://www.syonpark.co.uk/

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

I think the Steam Museum is a really underrated attraction - it isn't very large but I found it facinating and I am no steam buff. There's a real feeling of charming enthusiasm about the place.

It isn't that far from Hampton Court as the crow flies - frustratingly, there isn't a direct rail line but one change would bring you to Kingston on the 'loop' line, from where you could get a bus or riverboat to the Palace. Alternatively, there is a bus (R68 - a good service) which goes all the way from Kew Station , near the Gardens right to Hampton Court. Quite a nice ride through Richmond, alongside Marble Hill Park, Bushy Park and the River. You could always then get the direct train back into central London from Hampton Court.

As you are coming soon and the days are still a bit short, I'd do it the other way round and see the Palace gardens first, whilst it's light. Don't underestimate how long you would take at Hampton Court - there's a lot to see!

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

I'd certainly recommend the steam music and, if your husband likes things mechanical, the musical museum which has recently re-opened in new premises about 3 minutes' walk away on the same road. As others have said, Kew Gardens is also nearby (about a 10-minute walk). You can see the relationship of all three on the map at the bottom of this web page:

http://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk/page5.html

The nearest station to the steam museum is Kew Bridge, which has a direct national rail (NOT tube) service from Waterloo. Trains run every 15 minutes and the journey takes 30 minutes.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

To my shame, I live nearby but have never been to the steam museum but will now definitely do so. As other people have said, Hampton Court would not be particularly easy to get to even though it's only about 5 miles upstream. Kew Gardens (which you can see from the Steam Museum) would be a better choice. Should you want a stately home, then CHISWICK HOUSE (please google for information) is nearer.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Instead of Kew Gardens, you might wander along my favourite street in London: Strand-on-the-Green. It takes you back hundreds of years and there are 2 decent pubs there as a bonus.

london
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kew Bridge Stam Museum

Hi FTL,

I was in Arizona last year and visited an old gold mine,the man who ran it had a great collection of engines and the like,I got talking to him and he told me the Kew Steam Museum was the high point of his trip to London,but to my shame Ive still not been myself.