We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

England
Level Contributor
282 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

I have been to London many times but I am coming down for a day next week with my teenage daughters. Now while one can wear anything my other daughter does struggle because she is a little on the large size in that she finds it hard to do up things like jeans and even stretchy pants are not usually any good. She tends to get upset when we shop as time and again nothing fits. As this is a bit of a special treat after a bit of a rough time, please can anyone recommend anywhere that might sell anything suitable, maybe certain shops have a better cut of material. She is 5ft. Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

Hi Canada705.

Your 'little on the large size' description is vague - it's all relative.

If it's plus size clothes she's after then a store called Evans should do the trick - it's near the Marble Arch end of Oxford St. Marks and Spencer are usually ok as well...just a bit further up the road.

If she's average, and just not a stick insect, then most high street stores will have something...I know many go up to size 18/20UK.

I hope that helps.

Mez.

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

Hi

I just wanted to second what the previous poster said. An idea of her dress size and age would make it easier to offer advice. I am more than happy to help.

Queeny

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

I think Primark goes up to size 18/20, and its huge branch at the Marble Arch end of Oxford St is brilliant for teens. Maybe call & check what sizing they do first so she's not disappointed?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

Evans is pretty dire for teen fashions, unless they have more choice in London, but no teen really wants to buy there unless there is no other option.

Primark do some larger sizes, and have a big Store in Oxford St, but it would help if you said what size you were looking for.

New Look has a flagship store at 500 Oxford Street, and its Inspire Range goes from size 16 to 26.

(Neither of those suggestions are high end - price wise, but are popular with teens)

Hope you have a lovely trip!

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

i would def say to go to new look, they have a really good range of larger size clothes that are still the same designs/styles as the smaller sizes.

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

new look have a good plus size range, and most of their clothing is the same as the smaller sizes, good prices aswell, funky clourful clothing that fit all sizes!!

primark is abit cheap but is ok, can get really busy but if you are ok with that then check it out at marble arch.

marks and spencer and evans isnt really for teens. carnaby street is a really good place to look, full of individual boutiques that sell different look, just off regests street easy to find!!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

Hello there!

If she wears up to size 18 then New Look, Primark, Next, H+M, Top Shop, Uniqlo, will have things to fit her as long as she has the patience to search!

As I grew up having two cousins (they are sisters, but my cousins) exactly like you describe your daughters, if you don't mind I would like to tell you something that you may haven't thought of: It could not be her not finding clothes to fit her that upsets her, but the fact that her sister can fit into anything! There is an easy way to deal with that: Don't take them shopping together! My aunt did that (a psychologist gave her the advice) and since then, they had less fights, less tears and more clothes for the "chubby" cousin.

Have fun shopping!!! I wish I could come with you!!!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

There's actress Dawn French's online shop www.sixteen47.com and there is Base Fashions at 55 Monmouth Street, Covent Garden www.base-fashions.co.uk for French and Italian designs.

england
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

best to look at petite adult clothes rather than clothes aimed at teenagers as such. Tell her Marilyn Monroe has been considered sexy for many more years than stick insects.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trendy clothes for a slightly large teen

Hennes, Dorothy Perkins and New Look all do larger sizes and are fashionable and cheap!

For something dressier Monsoon goes up to a size 22

The M&S Limited range has some cool stuff up to a size 20, ignore the rest fora teenager.

Primark does go upto a size 18 but being a size 18, i have always found it a bit skimpy. That said i am 5ft8 if your daughter is 5ft she might be alright.

The Gap goes up to an 18 but I have found some of there tops labelled XL seem bigger.

Whilst she would be unlikely to get anything from Topshop the flag ship store at Oxford Circus has a brilliant accessories/jewellery/shoe department.

Speaking as a larger shopaholic you are never too large for new shoes or a new bag!!!