We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Live 8 tickets on Ebay

If you haven't checked out the Live 8 ticket sales on ebay yet... do so. Its quite entertaining.

…ebay.com/live-8_Tickets_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfro…

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

And a bit upsetting, no? I can't understand how people & Ebay are willing to profit off what's supposed to be a free charity concert. A better thing would be to donate some money & watch it on television. I sleep better w/a clear conscience.

Okay, I'm thru with my rant for the day!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

not shocked at all it was always going to happen....personally if I had got some I would have sold them and donated half back to the fund as if they went for ��1000 thats ��500 more than they would have got if I had gone myself if you know what I mean!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

Hmm, there's an article (pasted below) that says Ebay has w/drawn the ticket sales.. but I still see a few for sale. (Of course they're all at 10million pounds)

LONDON - The Internet auction site eBay will withdraw tickets for the London Live 8 concert from sale, a company official said Tuesday, after organizer Bob Geldof said the sale was despicable. The concert was organized to highlight poverty in Africa, and the tickets are free.

More than 100 pairs of tickets, however, began appearing earlier Tuesday on the eBay auction site at high prices. Some attracted bids of up to 1,000 pounds ($1,800), prompting Geldof to call for a boycott of eBay Inc.

"The people who are selling these tickets on Web sites are miserable wretches who are capitalizing on people's misery," the musician said.

Later Tuesday, eBay Managing Director Doug McCallum said the company would take the tickets off its auction site, although the company said reselling charity concert tickets was not illegal in Britain.

"We've listened carefully to our customers," McCallum told Britain's ITV television. "Overwhelmingly the voice is that they would like us to take down the listing."

Geldof said he was glad eBay was removing the tickets from auction.

"Well done for taking them down," Geldof told Sky News. "But it was despicable, and they should have thought about it before they did this."

There are a total of 150,000 tickets for the show in London's Hyde Park ��� one of several Live 8 concerts being held July 2 also in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin and Rome.

More than 2 million people have applied by text message for London tickets, making it history's largest text-message lottery, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

In reply to pinkflufflykitchen, if that person buying the ticket had 1,000 GBP to spare, they should have given all of that to the charity rather than spending it on buying a ticket. That way, the charity would have been 1,000 GBP better off rather than relying on the receiver donating 500 GBP.

It just goes to show that some people haven't got a clue about the aims of the concert and just want to go along and waste their money watching a bunch of rich, old aged rock stars singing songs.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

It's alot like the coloured charity braclets that are now being sold in street markets and have nothing to do with charities but people are still buying them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

mick at the end of the day we are lucky enough to live in a country with choice and if someone has something to sell and someone has money to buy then it will be done at a guess...it may not always be morally correct but it is life.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

and ps have u seen the make poverty history bands being sold on ebay too!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

Ebay has removed the tickets from its site.

thisislondon.co.uk/news/…

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

I'm glad for that. Better late than never.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,745 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live 8 tickets on Ebay

Quick rant before bedtime -

The more people do immoral things (and selling Live8 tickets on e-bay is immoral, no two ways about it) and the more they get away with it, the more immoral we as a nation get and the downward spiral discussed on other threads continues.

All we can do as good guys is stand up and be counted (sabotage the site) but too often we do nothing but moan and the bad guys get away with it.

Thank you for letting me let off steam and goodnight!