We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

NYC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Hi all,

I am back from my very first trip to London and it was amazing. I'll be posting up a full trip report shortly but it will have to be after my bizarre battle with jetlag subsides (i came back Wed night and I'm still all out of sorts!).

But, before I'm off to sleep for three days...a few quick bits of startling observation/revelation that I had not realized nor expected :)

~ London is a VAST and HUGE city. Although it is a "walkable" city, this should not be misunderstood in the meaning it can be walked from one end to the other. Not the case. Atleast not for me. I hadn't realized that if you are on the Millenium Bridge you can not see Big Ben from there. VAST (and gorgeous of course). I thought everything was "central". And it is, but central is a large center indeed!

~ Everyone is super polite. I mean SUPER polite. And yes, I'm coming from NYC, the land of "Look if you keep blockin' the daws, we can't leave the friggin' station" (yes a conductor actually said that on the A line). But still, I was not prepared for the level of civilized courtesy and politeness that the English possess. Amazing. Just amazing.

~ The only rude person I met the entire time i was there (6 days) was a woman on the tube who would not stop leaning on my fingers against the train pole. This woman was wearing white sneakers and was...you guessed it...American tourist. (sorry but it's true!)

~ I ate incredibly cheap. I mean CHEAP. Prets and EAT are the way to go if you need a lunch refuel in between seeing the sights.

~ Most everyone dresses beautifully - even just to go to the supermarket. I'm sorry, but next time I go, i will not wear sneakers...er, trainers. I'm sorry, I never felt so UNDERDRESSED. Coming from NYC I thought I'd be ok, but it did affect me, I wanted to look London cool too! (vain i know but... :( I ended up buying a gorgeous leather bomber jacket at TOPSHOP on Oxford and ballet flats and blended a bit better :)

~ I have never seen so many people! I mean loads and loads of men and women out on a Saturday night, spilling out onto the street from the pubs. It's always, ALWAYS crazy busy in Central London. I had no idea!

~ The history of the city is beyond comprehension. Beautiful.

~ The Jack the Ripper tour through London Walks - AWESOME!

~ Virgin Atlantic is a great airline for the "brit" experience before you even leave American soil.

Let's see what else? Oh so much...more to follow in the form of a trip report. Overall...an amazing trip. It was so much more than I expected and I expected alot. Astounding. And yes, when I saw Big Ben I cried. It was the realization that I had finally made it to London. It went quick my 6 days but feels like I time traveled to another time, another world...i'm in awe of London and it's history.

Keep an eye open for my Trip report to follow!!!!

thanks all for the help that was offered - especially knowing about the 7 day Travel Card - the Tube agent was tres impressed and said "hello gorgeous, you know your bits!". Fabulous way to start the trip :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Glad you had such a great time!

Reading your post got me excited even more for my trip - only 36 more days!!!! :)

NYC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Yes - be excited. It's amazing!

BTW - forgot to mention - The TUBE is super-duper easy to use. I mean very simple. Half way through the trip I barely needed to look at the tube map. My London friends were very impressed with how easy I picked it up. So was i!!!??? LOL

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

"Keep an eye open for my Trip report to follow!!!!"

I sure will. Glad you had a great time. :-)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Welcome to the London Lovers club!!! Great observations. I, too, was amazed at what a really large city London was on my first trip. Isn't it wonderful?

Looking forward to your trip report. :o)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Wow, the pre trip-report was brilliant. We are in for a treat. So glad you 'know your bits' lol. Its moments like that that stay with you forever;-)

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Hi: What a nice pre-trip report! Thanks for the many helpful observations. (I'll be in London in 3 weeks and am so excited!) Did you have jet-lag when you arrived in London? How quickly did you adjust?

london
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

What a lovely respose to London! Can't wait for your trip report...don't leave anything our please!

NYC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Foslo - I have to say I had a really hard time with jetlag. I made sure that when I arrived at the hotel at 11am I did NOT take a nap (as i had been instructed). I took a shower and headed out. I tried everything to keep from letting jetlag take hold, but it did. I think it's partly I've never travelled abroad like this before and I'm suffering from a chronic inner ear infection so I think that whipped me a bit in addition.

Regardless, the jetlag was SO worth it. You learn to push through, even when your body is saying...why are you eating a chicken club sandwich and tea at 7am?!? (London lunch time to NYC breakfast time :)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

Looking forward to reading your trip report.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have returned from London! Thank you TALF folks!

I loved reading your post. Reminded me of my trip to London, what happy memories!! Can't wait to read your full trip report.