We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My short trip (long) report

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
My short trip (long) report

Unfortunately I am back already. I stayed at the Morgan and really enjoyed it - i will be staying there again. I will post a hotel review sometime in the next few days. Sorry - this is long

Thursday: I arrived late due to "weather" problems or so they said. We arrived around 9:30, I quickly got off the plane and made my way to immigration - total shock. Not a single person in the queue. in fact all the immigration officers were standing around chatting. Anyway - got through quickly, got out my Oyster card and headed to the tube. I got to the Morgan before 11. My room wasn't ready yet - so I dropped my bag and started out.

I walked over to the Royal Courts of Justice and went in to check it out. The tours are only on Tuesday, but I did get to view the spectacular building and watched a brief movie on the history of the building. Then I headed over to the Transport Museum which was a big mistake. Great museum except during school break - kids everywhere. I didn't last long and decided that I was hungry and wanted to freshen up. I went to the Museum Tavern for lunch and chatted with the bartender for a bit. I then went and showered/changed and eventually met Mick in the city for a small pub crawl. We hit The Lamb in Leadenhall Market, The Counting House, The Ship and then walked across London Bridge to the Market Porter. By this time it was late so we parted ways and I took the tube back to Bloomsbury. I decided to pop into the Old Crown for a pint since they stay open until 3 and chatted with the staff I met in November.

Friday: woke up late & feeling rough - no dinner the night before and 9 pints. I missed breakfast and had to be at Waterloo by 12. There I met 2 friends and we grabbed a train to Esher to attend the races at Sandown which was a lot of fun - I had never been to jump racing before. I won in the 1st race, but not in any other. by midday I grabbed a sandwich.

We then headed back to London to meet some friends from Scotland for dinner at the Museum Tavern since a few of us were staying at the Morgan. Unfortunately, we never ate and the pints flowed. A friend that I met on my last trip randomly showed up so after the Tavern closed he & I went to the Old Crown and then dancing (it's a bad sign when I dance). He walked me home about 3:30ish.

Saturday: another rough morning since I didn't eat the previous evening. I missed breakfast again. I met Adam, Jack & Mick at the Ship & Shovel before heading off to see Watford vs Charlton - no beer for me though. it was quite fun although it was COLD! Too bad that it ended in a draw. But i had a good time.

After the match we stopped at a pub near the Market Porter for a pint and then broke up with some of us heading to the Angel area for dinner. I can't remember the name of the pub though. After dinner I was wiped out so I walked home while everyone else moved on. No beer at all for me all day.

Sunday: Finally - I had breakfast at the Morgan with my friends from Scotland. They do a nice breakfast and it's filling. From there I walked down High Holborn and made my way to Monument to do the Square Mile walk. It was very good (as long as we stayed in the sun). The guide, Graham, was excellent. After the walk I headed over to Blackfriars and onto the Victoria Embankment. I strolled up to the Savoy and then headed back to the hotel to check-in with BA. On the way I grabbed Tesco Express for lunch - cheap and quick.

After check-in - I headed to Embankment for the Westminster at War walk. It was also very good, but this group was large and we got caught up in the Kosovo celebrations in Trafalgar so it got a bit crazy and was hard to hear. This walk lasted almost 3 hours and was exhausting after my long day.

Once the walk was over I walked back to the hotel to change for dinner. I met a few friends (some regulars from TALF - Jack, Adam and Mick) plus other friends at the Lamb where we chatted, ate and drank a few pints. it was a nice ending to a quick trip.

Monday: got up early and had breakfast with friends staying at the Morgan. Then I headed out to LHR. I was going to T4 so I waited for 4 trains and none said T4, so I got on the one going to T1-3. it turns out that all trains were stopping at T4 today. Oh well. Security was a breeze - no queue. So I ended up with a lot of time on my hands for shopping. Then I chatted on the phone with a friend. Time passed quickly and it was time to go.

We were at gate 1a which was odd - you have to board a bus to get to the plane. After we all are boarded there is an announcement that the tire has a nail in it so it took an hour to be fixed and we were on out way.

Another great trip! I can't wait to come back in May.

Wendi

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My short trip (long) report

Sounds like you had a terrific time. And sounds like you saved a small fortune on all the meals you missed. :o)

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My short trip (long) report

Wendi - Thanks for posting your trip report. You certainly accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. With all the fun you had, no wonder you didn't have time to eat. May will be here before you know it. I'll be eager to read your next trip report.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My short trip (long) report

Wendi--9 pints and you felt rough? Rough? That's not the word I'd have to use in the same situation. Sounds like a fabulous liquid based trip ;-)

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My short trip (long) report

Great trip report. I'm going to have to try the horse races sometime. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My short trip (long) report

Great trip report. Maybe my liver is glad I missed you this time LOL. But I will catch you in May.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My short trip (long) report

9 pints and 6 pubs on your first day. Someone is obviously having a bad influence on you :).

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My short trip (long) report

<<9 pints and 6 pubs on your first day. Someone is obviously having a bad influence on you :).>>

Yes and who would that be?!?!!? I'm glad I didn't count Friday nights - I think I might be a little scared at that number, but I do know it's more than 9 because dancing was involved.

I did forget to mention that at Sandown I got to bet with a real bookie. We don't have them here in the States, at least not leagally, and it was quite fun!

Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My short trip (long) report

Thanks for posting this fun trip report, Wendi, glad you had such a good time. Where to next???

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My short trip (long) report

Great report Wendi and glad that you had a great time. Will see you in May I hope - booked the Morgan already.

Remind me to keep an emergency pack of rations in my handbag - drink on an empty stomach is not a good combination. LOL

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,762 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My short trip (long) report

Great report Wendi. I got the impression that a large number of illustrious talfers were leading you astray;-) Whats a girl to do?

I feel as though I have been missing out!