We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

Hi,

I know there's the Gatwick Express but as i've got plenty of time available to travel to Gatwick (for a Friday, early evening flight) i wondered what was the cheapest option from central London?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

We found Southern Rail from Victoria very reasonable and have booked with them. They have even better prices is 3 or 4 are travelling. I linked to it throught the Gatwick web-site.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

Confirm Southern services out of Victoria or London Bridge are the cheapest - trains from Victoria take only 5-10mins longer than the Gatwick Express if you take one which only stops at Clapham Junction and East Croydon. Such trains run roughly every 5-10mins from Victoria. You can buy tickets at Victoria train station when you get there (in theory you can't purchase once onboard Southern trains and will incur a penalty fare if you don't have a valid ticket - whereas on Gatwick Express you can purchase on the train).

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

Cheapest uption is the National Express bus service from Victoria Coach Station, down by the side of the rail station.

Single fare is 6.60 GBP, frequencies broadly hourly.

easyBus is starting a new service in direct competition with National Express in March. More frequent, smaller buses and less luggage allowance.

Fares though are from just 2 GBP purchased on-line

http://www.easybus.co.uk

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

The problem with the coach to Gatwick is that it is a long slow drag through the most boring parts of London.

Don't forget you can take the First Capital Train from St Pancras Int, City ThamesLink or Blackfriars and Sliverlink train (?) from Watford, Olympia or West Brompton.

So it all depends what you call Central London

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

Thanks guys looks like it might be easybus we use. I was just trying to price up different route options but hoping to go via London and squeeze in a night out!

6. Re: Getting to Gatwick Cheaply

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:19