We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

british museum

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
124 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
british museum

Is it really worth it? and how long to see main topics.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: british museum

Depends if you like museums.

my children and i really like this place especially since the great court was covered.

I would allow two or three hours and pick out what you are interested in. The elgin marbes,rosetta stone are the highlights i suppose last time we particularly enjoyed the Benin bronzes.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: british museum

Absolutely. For starters, it's free. You can pop in, take a quick run through, linger if you're interested or buzz right back out if it doesn't suit you.

Do go to the British Museum and visit the Assyrian and Egyptian galleries if nothing else. They're marvelous. Photography opportunities abound.

Pause for a moment in the lobby to appreciate the sheer beauty of the roof of what was once the Great Court. Peek into the library for a glimpse at the gorgeous dome.

Go to www.britishmuseum.ac.uk/compass and take a look around. Print out a map and go straight to whatever interests you. My favorite bit is the Assyrian relief sculptures, nearly 3000 years old. Such fascinating detail! Using inflated animal bladders as floats to make a surprise attack by water! Great images.

Museums tend to wear me out, I like them in doses of about an hour even though I love them. The British Museum and Victoria & Albert both are so big they're worth several visits.

Other free museums worth a visit or 3 are the Imperial War Museum, the Tate Britain and the National Gallery. Photography is allowed at the BM, V&A and IWM.

Have a great visit!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: british museum

If you're feeling ambivalent, a The Original London Walks offer a nice 60-90 minute highlights tour of the British Musuem.

There is also a "highlights" self-paced audio tour available.

The British Museum in an interesting, different part of town. If you go, it's also worth strolling through Bloomsbury Square and Russell Square Gardens, both within 2 blocks of the museum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: british museum

It is a must - even if only for 1/2 an hour - you will return - that is a given.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: british museum

I enjoyed the British Museum and as someone else mentioned it's free, so if you don't like it you walk out again. It's near to many other attractions, so you won't have gone out of your way if you decide it's not for you! The only thing I didn't like about it was the mummy room, I don't know why but it really gave me the creeps!!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: british museum

The British Museum is great. There is also the Prints and Drawings room (#90) which houses works by all the great masters, Leonardo, Durer, Rembrandt etc.

canada
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: british museum

As a student of civilisation, I spent one full day inside until my brain flashed "information overload" and my leg cried uncle. I am not done with it yet. Same can be said of the Louvre in Paris.

Oceano, California
Level Contributor
604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: british museum

The Egyptian hall is marvelous! I just visited the King Tut exhibit in LA this weekend and it was not as impressive as the Egyptian exhibit at the British Museum.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: british museum

You could spend a whole day in this place, worth the visit.