We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Wife and I are going to be in UK the last 2 weeks in 2008 and would appreciate suggestions for the London portion. Hoping to find someplace that does Christmas up nicely. We've stayed at the Savoy, the Dorchester, and 22 Jermyn before and loved them, but we're in the mood to try someplace else if they do a nice Christmas.

Looking for a very central location. Ideally, there's be lots of pubs and restaurants very close by. Luckily, cost is not much of an object for this trip.

I've also posted a question in the UK forum looking for suggestions as to samller towns to include on our Christmas tour, so if you have ideas, please advise. Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

I believe Claridges goes for broke at Christmas, and Gordon Ramsay does the food or is at least in charge of it. Since you've stayed at the Savoy etc I'm assuming money is no object.

Also very very nice for food at least (I live in London so I don't need hotels there) is the Connaught, where the chefess is Angela Hartness, who trained with Ramsay. You couldn't get more central either.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

I'm afraid Angela Hartnett is no longer at the Connaught. Ramsay didn't renew his lease at the Connaught Restaurant.

The restaurant is currently closed and is planned to re-open in May. Check this website for details:

www.the-connaught.co.uk/page.aspx?id=90

Claridge's was a good suggestion. You could also check out Brown's Hotel in Mayfair.

www.brownshotel.com

And I just found this article from this past Xmas, but it's helpful still:

timeout.com/london/christmas/features/3836/L…

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

How about Le Meridien in Piccadilly? Can't get a better location than this IMHO.

As for side trips, Cambridge and Brighton are the two that springs to mind. HOWEVER, be warned - train services over the holiday period had been far from reliable in recent years!

DK

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Sorry, I didn't see your query about visiting smaller towns. As DK says, trains over the Xmas period can be unreliable or (as on Xmas Day) non-running. But a few smaller towns for you to consider as a day trip are:

Lewes

Arundel

Chichester

Rye

These towns are all in the south.

http://www.visitrye.co.uk/

http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/content/544.html

wealddown.co.uk/visitor-chichester-details.h…

http://www.arundel.org.uk/

England
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Haworth in West Yorkshire is great at Christmas - on the 13th/14th December the Torchlight weekend is held, plus the Santa special steam trains.

Haworth is great at anytime, especially if you have an interest in the Brontes.

rodetripper
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

I am meeting my American daughter in Europe for Christmas. We love London, but what does one do from the 26th to 31st?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Stores may start their sales on the 26th. You can certainly walk all over the city, which is often London at its most pleasant, as it's so quiet.

From the 27th-31st, everything is open. You can visit major attractions as usual.

rodetripper
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

I had been led to believe that everything is closed. What a relief! Do theaters have performances in that week?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

Theatres will be closed Xmas Day only. Fringe theatres may remain closed during that week. West End theatres will re-open after Xmas Day, and both theatre and ballet is on during that week. I've gone to plays on New Year's Eve, come to think of it.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-5 star Hotel that celebrates Christmas in style?

I know you've already stayed at the Dorchester (and I have not) but we had friends who stayed there several years ago at Christmas and they set up a decorated tree IN THEIR SUITE. I thought that was pretty cool.