We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Hi, I know many parking meters stop operating at 1.30 on Saturdays, but can anyone tell me if this stretches to Soho?

We are coming up to Old Compton St and would like to know if we can park for free anywhere round there, otherwise we'll take the tube.

Thanks very much

Cheers

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Can't answer your question as such, BUT even if parking in that area is free at that time, you might spend 2-3 hours trawling a complex 1 way system looking for a place. IMO it's best to take the tube if you can.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

No chance IMHO, parking spaces are like gold dust around this area, and Westminster Council will extract as much money out of parking meters for as much and as long as they can get it!

I would advise parking your car in the vicinity of Russell Square, where one can still find meters that stop operating after 13:30h on Saturdays, as well as free for all residential parking bays after 13:30h.

You can then take the tube or a pleasant walk of about 20min.

DK

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

If my memory serves me correctly, the meters in Soho area do not stop working until at least 18:00h in the evening, if you can find one that is free!

DK

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

I don't know. Apparently, if you are going to a theatre you can get 50% off:

westminster.gov.uk/carparks/theatreland.cfm

The Poland St car park is nearby: www.westminster.gov.uk/carparks/soho.cfm

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

28 GBP for 9h normal price (for the carpark at Leicester Square), that's 14 GBP with a 50% discount, whereas one can park for 24h for 3 GBP more in one of the carparks around Russell Square.

On top of that, it is a lot of stress driving in Central London even on a Saturday if one is not au fait with the dreaded one-way systems.

Definitely use a nav if you intend to brave it!

DK

england
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

if you do manage to find a parking space when you get back to it some idiot may have parked so close that you can't get out again.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Thank you all for the excellent advice.

You are right - it would be crazy to drive around Soho, even if the parking were free.

We live close to an underground station so not worth paying for a carpark, but thanks for the suggestions.

Will come into town early as we fancy a wander and probably take the tube, though will think about Russell Square area if the weather's good and you reckon parking's free and not too difficult.....unless there's a better suggestion?

It's an unimportant problem but thanks for taking the trouble to solve it.

Cheers

Elaine

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Am I missing something? As you live close to an underground station why would you *ever* want to drive in to central London?

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

You are absolutely right Bri, and thank you all - will be coming up in the afternoon and just thought car might be a good idea (especially as it isn't me who'd be driving!) so we could leave any shopping in the car before dinner & theatre, but - it's definitely more sensible to tube it, so decision made.

Thank you.

Cheers

Elaine

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking restrictions Saturday afternoon around Soho?

Ah, if you had shopping you didn't really want to be carrying for dinner and theatre I can see that driving up might be something you'd consider... but I just remember the 'fun' I had trying to park when I needed to drive in to central London on a Saturday for work.