We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgravia area vs Bloomsbury for bed and breakfast

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Belgravia area vs Bloomsbury for bed and breakfast

I've spent the last couple of days frantically searching for 3 nights in London in June. Using recommendations on Trip Advisor, Rick Steve's and

Fodors Europe travel forum. We need a triple as 17 year old daughter will be with us. So Priceline is out unless we want to book 2 rooms. We like the idea of a bed and breakfast for more "atmosphere" and the BIG breakfast! Luna Simone and Winchester Hotel are soldout for our dates.

We are now deciding between two:

Cartref House in Belgravia triple 126 pds per night

and Arran House in Bloomsbury 113 pds per night. Both include bkfst and all taxes and are ensuite. Cartref is recommended in Rick Steves book and is #25 on Trip Advisor for b & b's.

Arran House is #4 on Trip Advisor.

Originally my hubby wanted to stay in Belgravia area but he has always been curious about Bloomsbury area.

If anyone has experience with either of these properties or

areas we would love to hear!

If one area has more reasonable, casual restaurants that would be helpful to.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgravia area vs Bloomsbury for bed and breakfast

Bloomsbury is very central, with a handful of buses stopping just across the road from Arran House Hotel. With University College London and UCL Hospital nearby there will be a number of younger people around, which may appeal to your daughter.

Gower Street is a fairly busy road, but in June you'll be able to sit in the rose garden at the Arran House - nice - and escape from the city a bit.

I prefer Bloomsbury, not because Ebury Street is horrid, but simply because I know Bloomsbury a bit better. Cartref House certainly looks swell, and the location is also very good, with lots of transportation options.

I'd say Arran House only because I'm more familiar with it. But do wait a bit to see if you get better info about Cartref House as well!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgravia area vs Bloomsbury for bed and breakfast

Hello! We have stayed at bed and breakfasts in both areas, although not at the specific hotels you mention.

On our own two daughters' first visit to London, we stayed in a quad (!!) room at The Elizabeth House Hotel, which was then a YWCA international residence, in the area near The Cartref House. This area, technically "Belgravia", is very convenient and very nice; but it is not the very elegant "Belgrave Square" area that you may be imagining. There are many small hotels nearby. The area appeals to transients, like ourselves, because of the proximity to Victoria Station. If you are flying into Gatwick, you can take the train to Victoria and actually role your luggage from the station right to the hotel.

On a more recent visit, after one daughter was grown and living in London, we stayed with the other daughter in a triple room at a bed and breakfast on Gower Street, near the Arran House. Bloomsbury also has many small hotels, but it is less "transient" in felling. Bloomsbury is the location of some University of London buildings and student residences. The atmosphere is very "young". There are lots of interesting restaurants and shops nearby. The British Museum is literally just around the corner.

Although I think you cannot go wrong with Rick Steve's suggestions (and you might, therefore, be happier with Cartref House as a hotel), I would probably opt for the Bloomsbury location.

One caution about Gower Street: There is some traffic - taxi's, etc. - on the street at almost all hours. In the morning, there are trucks on the street, people talking, etc. In a London B&B, you will probably not have air conditioning, so you will want to open the windows. If your room faces Gower Street, you may be bothered by the noise.

Also, be aware that - in either location - the room will be small. The town homes that are now B&B's, were not designed with en suite bathrooms and family bedrooms in mind. You may have little space to move around! Also, you will not have a "lift", so pack in the knowledge that you will have to carry your luggage up the steep stairs.

3. Re: Belgravia area vs Bloomsbury for bed and breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:20