We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry- Oyster and kids?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sorry- Oyster and kids?

I read the TFL website (including http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1063.aspx). I also read the londontoolkit website and this forum. I apologize but I am still confused. My wife and I arrive in London this Thursday with our children ages 9, 11 and 13 for 10 days. I planned on my wife and I using Oyster PAYG for the tube and buses. The TLF website states "11-13 year olds need an Oyster photocard to buy child-rate Travelcards and to use pay as they go on the Tube, DLR and London Overground". I did not get Oyster photocards in advance for my kids. Does this mean that I am doomed to pay full adult fares (Oyster PAYG) for my 11 and 13 year olds? Is there any way around this at this point?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

I believe that you can still buy 1 day travel cards at the child rate and there was some discussion about 1 GBP travel for children with an adult fare. Someone will know the details but I don't think you will have to pay adult fares in any case. Good Luck - see you around town next week:)

Lisa

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

Children's tickets are not particularly straightworward... I know that 11 -13s do not need a photocard for one-day travel cards, which is what I usually get when going into central London - I pay for an adult travelcard and then £1 per child. I'm not sure about PAYG. All buses are free for this age and currently they do not need a photocard though your 13 year old may be asked how old he/she is (mine is..). I believe there is a change afoot so that all 11+ will need a photocard for free bus travel but that's from June or September I think. I've just applied for a photocard for my soon to be 14 year old and have been told it will take 2 weeks to arrive. I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info. Enjoy London!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

Well done for having read the info at the TfL website and the Londontoolkit website! But please don't feel as if you're lacking because it didn't make sense.

In very basic terms (you're leaving in two and a half days!) your 9 year old can travel on the buses, Tube and DLR for free, with no need for a ticket. Your other children can travel off peak for £1 each. 'Up to four 11 to 15 year olds accompanying an adult Travelcard holder can buy all zone off peak Day Travelcards at just £1 each.'

Since your 9 year old will not need a ticket, you will have to ask a TfL staff member to open the gate at Underground stations to let your party through - the other two children will have to put their Travelcards through the ticket machines (they'll be sold as paper tickets) and you'll have to do the same or touch in and out if you have seven day Travelcards on Oyster (which you should have).

If this sounds like a pain in the nether regions, you can buy one day offpeak Travelcards for £1 each for all three children, then head off with little fuss.

The children must travel with an adult who holds a valid Travelcard - not that they're likely to go off on their own; you may be able to buy their one day cards in advance, rather than queue at the station every day. I asked at the Travel Info Centre at Victoria if parents could buy the cards more than a day or two ahead of time and was told yes, so give it a go.

Have a swell trip.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

Thanks for the quick repsonses.

TravellerPlus- can I purchase the offpeak one day 1 pound travel cards for the kids from the automated machines at the stations (how does the machine know if its really for a child) or will I have to purchase them from the ticket window?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

There is no option for child tickets on the ticket machines.

There has been discussion on here as to whether you can buy several days tickets in advance.

If you are here for 10 days a 7 day TravelCard will probably work out cheaper, even if you only use it for 5 days out of the 7.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

You will have to buy the childrens' tickets at the station, I suspect. There are Ticket Stops here and there in London - retail outlets selling a limited range of tickets - but the TfL website, in its usual helpful (!) way, does not indicate if the one day Travelcards sold are for adults and children or adults only.

Rather than add to your aggro, get the Travelcards at the station.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

Thanks everyone. See you in London.

8. Re: Sorry- Oyster and kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 14:23