We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

So says a new travel survey.

Opinions? Central London and Northern London seem as clean as NYC. Maybe I've stayed in good areas but the tourist sections all seem fairly clean. I was in Manhatten in December and I was a bit surprised that some of the street had garbage bags piling up.

As for expensive, the people surveyed have never read our TA money saving posts!:)

…yahoo.com/rtrs/20080312/tuk-uk-britain-lond…

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

It would be interesting to see the questions asked and the data collected.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

What survey? What sample? Which country ?

Surveys say many things and are all accurate based on the people asked and the questions posed>

What is the point of the original post???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

I found London neither dirty nor particularly expensive. I did find it delightful, with lovely people, beautiful gardens and buildings, so beautiful that I found just walking around, not necessarily entering every 'tourist' venue, one of the nicest parts of my holiday. Can't wait to repeat the exercise next week. London, I love you!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

Depends on what you're comparing it with. The same survey also moaned about Paris and New York. Mind you there are people who still think Elvis is alive and well so who's to say they're wrong?....

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

I hate surveys like that. I'm convinced you can ask a question five different ways and get five different answers--it's all in the way the it is posed that determines the outcome.

I think London is lovely. I was incredibly impressed at how clean the Tube is; the restrooms are clean; the museums and parks and streets were just fine.

It is somewhat expensive--compared to Fort Worth, Texas for example. Part of that is the ridiculous exchange rate. Part of that is it is a big city. BUT if you know what you're doing and you're willing to eat a bit more creatively than just walk into the first restaurant you see next to one of the bigger "attractions", you can make it work on a budget.

I wish I could go eat in one of the fabulous places in London--I know I never will be able to do that. I spend my pennies on just getting there. And it's worth every one of those pennies!

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

Compared to what? The small town they come from. The countryside. Who cares.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

I think London is a very clean city and expensive is clearly subjective. I will say however, I can never find a trash bin at Waterloo or Charring Cross Stations (I know why).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

Were this a survey about pharmaceuticals, I would say it's one for the Grauniad's Bad Science column.

Imagine this as one of the questions: 'would you say London is dirty and expensive or would you rather I kicked you in the shins?'

Sigh.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

London is expensive. Dirty? Not particularly. Try NYC on a summer day. Or pretty much any day. I love the city, but the stench is overwhelming. I spent the whole day there Saturday dodging raindrops and dog poo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourists think London is dirty and expensive

> can never find a trash bin at Waterloo or Charring Cross Stations (I know why). <

I am pleased you know why, I hope you upbrade your fellow Bostonians for it.