We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

I just booked rooms at a new hotel/B&B/pub called the Fox & Anchor. My question is -- how the heck do I get there? The website is only a page (because it is new). I will be flying into Heathrow and know I will need to take the train. But to which station?

Here is the address: 115 Charterhouse St

Also for those that know the area -- are we staying too close to the business center? Our trip is just a quick meet up because my husband is in Ireland for 6 months, and we are going to do the tourist thing. I don't want to have to take a taxi every time we want to go somewhere. However, it was hard enough to find this place because the trip is pretty close (April 25).

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Babylon Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

It's about an equal distance between Farringdon and Barbican; so catch the underground to King's Cross and change trains there.

www.walkit.com as recommended earlier today will give you ideas of where to go - this isn't a tourist area but it is an interesting one. You're on the edge of Smithfield meat market, the church of St Bartholome the Great (a must visit), and near Fabric nightclub. The Museum of London and St Paul's Cathedral are probably a 10-15 minute walk away.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

It's not far from Barbican Underground station.

From LHR take the Piccadilly line to King's Cross. You can change there to any of the Circle, Metropolitan or Hammersmith & City lines towards Liverpool Street; alight at Barbican.

The station entrance is on Aldersgate, but you need to go to the left, where the first turning should be Charterhouse Street. The Fox and Anchor is about a one minute walk along Charterhouse Street.

It's a wonderful area, not too far from Clerkenwell and the City (where business booms five days a week) where the flavour of London is different from other areas usually seen by visitors.

There are lots of buses you may wish to use to get around if you'd rather not take the Tube; there's a lot within walking distance as well. If you need snacks and drinks, there's a Waitrose on Whitecross Street, about ten minutes' walk away; there's a swell street market on Whitecross Street as well.

You will do well to get a detailed map of the area if not an A to Z, as the City can be a bit daunting for visitors.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

To clarify: Farringdon and Barbican referred to above are underground stations. I'm currently about a 10-minute walk away so I think I'll stroll down there right away and have a meal there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

As the others have said, the nearest tube stations are Barbican and Farringdon.

However, you have to be a bit careful here as Charterhouse Street is in 2 parts with Charterhouse Square in between. The pub is actually behind the main street you walk down as you approach from Barbican as it does get a bit confusing for people to know where the Square ends and the Street start.

The Fancyapint website below has a map which pinpoints where the pub is so you can see what I mean.

http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub91.html

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

All of you -- thank you very much. I feel much better about my choice.

Glyn1 -- who is the food?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

>"Glyn1 -- who is the food?"<

I didn't get its name but it was very nice. In fact, I only had some stuffed mushrooms at the bar with a beer in a pewter mug.

A couple of things - although it is a new hotel it is in a very atmospheric old building, have a look at the gargoyles over the door as you go in. I don't really think that it's a pub any more as the emphasis is more on food.

If you are still awake at 3 or 4 in the morning, do have a stroll around the area because that's when it will be extremely busy because of everyone working in Smithfield meat market - but your hotel is in a quiet side street so your sleep shouldn't be disturbed.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

After all, I never talk to food that I haven't been introduced to.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

Okay that question is what I get for posting after only a few hours sleep, a full day and a glass of wine.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

Also when you come out of the hotel, turn left and walk past the iron gate into Charterhouse Square: across the square is the apartment block that was supposed to be detective Hercule Poirot's home in the television series, and you'll also see that the middle of the square is lit by gas lamps, not electricity, which can be a little eerie on a misty night.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fox & Anchor -- How to find it

Sukie - If you have a PDA or smartphone, you can download fancyapint software for free(from the website Mick recommended)and it can give you reviews, directions, etc for pubs. I actually just looked up Fox and Anchor on my smartphone and the instructions matched what you got here.

It really came in handy on our last trip when we wanted to stop in and have a drink somewhere we weren't familiar with. We were able to always find what we were looking for and be directed straight there.

Have a great trip!