We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buy pounds now? are we limited?

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
buy pounds now? are we limited?

We are traveling to England for two weeks and then to Italy for two in May. How much money can we take in Pounds and Euros (cash) - I was thinking of buying it now before the dollar dips more. Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

Recent dollar weakness has really been against the Euro rather than the pound, the last few days the dollar has actually strengthened against the pound by about 2.5%. You may regret buying now.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,763 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

10,000 euros or the equivelent in any other currency is the maxium cash allowed to be carried between EU countries.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

It may also go down - we mere mortals can't predict if it will be better or worse in May. I wouldn't let it drive you crazy. Rather than trying to get foriegn currency here in the US, we just wait till we get there and use the ATM machines. You'll get the best rate that way and (in England, anyway) you'll only be charge whatever transaction fee your home bank charges for out of network transactions (usually $2-$5 per transaction.)

Getting foriegn currency here at home is a hassle, you'll get an inflated exchange rate and then you're carrying around large amounts of cash with you.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

Hi red; Whatever you do, you won't win! We've tried for years and always seem to lose out on foreign exchange speculation. $ and £ are now very bad against the Euro and may well get worse. As said it looks as if £ / $ may stay around the same to each other......but ......????

There is of course the safety issue re carrying too much cash. The TA forums are full of US folk fearing UK and European towns, hotels, hotel safes, and locals; just look back a bit esp on the London forum.

We were terrified by guide books re LA; had no problems (or indeed in touring Az - even Tombstone!). BUT a lot of cash is a risk, even of "just" losing it. Insurance policies usually only cover quite a small amount of cash.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

The British pound and the US dollar are falling at about the same rate (a little like 2 people holding hands and jumping off a building at the same time), so it probably won't make much difference whey you buy them.

It might be a good idea to buy euros now, but I'm no expert (I don't think anyone is).

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
268 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

I usually get a minimal amount of pounds (say, $100 worth or enough to pay my 1st night hotel) just in case there is a problem with my bank card.

Regarding Euros, I would just wait until i got to Italy. When I went to prague in November, I just used a cash machine there. That's the easiest way.

Another bit of (unsolicited) advice. I always call my banks and credit cards to let them know where I'll be so they'll notate it on the card. I also email myself a list of the credit/bank card overseas phone numbers in case i lose them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,460 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

I too take a bit of cash with me before going outside Canada, as I like to hit the ground running and dislike paying cash machine fees.

If you can find a good rate right now, buy a bit of cash and put it with your passport - done. Others' views may vary, of course.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

I too get a minimal amount of cash to bring with me. I think we obtained about 200 Pounds to bring with us to London. The rest of the time we used our ATM or Credit Card. I would be too nervous to go overseas and not bring any local currency whatsoever. :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,271 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

Use your ATM card -- with smaller quantities of currency like someone spends on vacation (as opposed to the massive amounts transferred internationally by banks and multi-national corporations) -- the moves in currency won't be enough to make a significant different.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buy pounds now? are we limited?

Yes, it is worth notifying your credit card companies you will be abroad. We actually had our card stopped once because of this and had to make lots of tedious phone calls back home.