We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

I am wanting to take the train from London to Colchester. 45 min Take a taxi to Beth Chatto Gardens, then taxi back. Then take the train to Bressingham the same day and try to find a cheap but nice place to stay the night. In the morning visit Bressingham Gardens and return by train to london that same day.

Has anyone ever done this before? Where would you

recommend we stay in Bressingham?

Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

You could try Bressingham Hall email b&b@bressinghamgardens.com you would be staying virtually in the grounds, dont know what the price is but you might get a good deal - however Bressingham gardens has been taken over by Wyevale which is a huge chain of garden centres so I dont know if it would be so interesting now I would imagine it would be a lot more commercial.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

Thank you I will enquire. Now regarding the trains.

Is it true that a station like Diss which is the

stopping off point for Bressingham could possibly be

small so that in the morning when we wanted to return to London, we may not be able to purchase a ticket.

Is anyone familiar with Diss?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

I'm not, although I've frequently been diss-ed on the forum!

I believe if a station ticket-office is closed you can buy the ticket on the train without penalty.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but at least I got your question bumped up.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

I'd think this would work fine.

You might look at www.smoothhound.co.uk for places at Bressingham.

Bear in mind that you'll need to leave from Liverpool Street station, and the ticket cost will be fairly steep. you can check on

www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you can buy ticket upfront- there are ways of collecting them- rather than lining up at Liv St (or Diss) you may have a better trip. Liv St booking office can have long lines.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

Cost depends on when you travel- cheaper at weekends, but our railways often close over weekends leaving you with a bus instead. An uncomfortable bus that goes VERY slowly.

London -Diss fare is £12 if you buy an "advance ticket"- this restricts you to a specific train, up to £38 for a fully open ticket. You probably can't get off at Colchester, so you might need different tickets for each leg. Maybe there's a "rover" ticket??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

Hi

I have found out that Bressingham Gardens is still as interesting as ever. The Bloom family did not sell the tourist attraction only the plant sales.

The Bressingham Hall on the garden site is only 65 pounds split between two of us and there is a pub 200 feet away for dinner. Terrific stuff.

The train station is open on Saturdays and there is a taxi stand at the station. What more could I ask for. Thank you all- I will look into a Rover ticket.

7. Re: Beth Chatto Gardens and Bressingham Gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 15:18