We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

voltage question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
voltage question

hi everyone, im trying to figure out what to take with me oversees for my hairdryer, boyfriends clippers and also curling iron

would this work?


for laptops and cameras i dont need a voltage converter right? My nana is lending me her plug adapters also, which i think is all i need for the laptop and camera to charge

thanks for the help

im just confused and time is running out!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: voltage question

> for laptops and cameras i dont need a voltage converter right? <

Depends on the equipment. The UK runs on 240V so check your equipment says it can run on 240V. If it doesn't say it, you need a converter. How powerful is your hairdryer? 1600w isn't that much fof some hot things.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: voltage question

The issues you face using your own electrical appliances in the UK are:

1) Plug shape. UK uses a large plug with three square pins instead of the the US arrangement of two round pins and a contact point for earth. This is easily got around with plug adaptors, but do make sure that if your appliance needs an earth connection that the plug adaptor you use does connect the earth contact on a US plug to the earth pin in the UK plug. Not all do, and you RISK ELECTRIC SHOCK if you don't connect the earth.

2) Voltage. UK supplies give you 220V to 240V, instead of the US 110V. As you and jdbri say, many modern gadgets are dual voltage. It will only be ones with their own transforming power supply (from AC to DC) that do this, but note that cheaper or less well designed ones still won't. Check what the label on the power supply says - if it says 110V to 240V, you;re OK. If it just says 110V, at best it won't work, more likely is that you will DAMAGE THE DEVICE, and at worst you may CAUSE A FIRE.

To use a 1a0V-only device, you will need to use a voltage transformer that is rated for THE CORRECT POWER DELIVERY. Transformers, partiouclarly for higher power delivery, are heavy things, and you probably don't want to be lugging them around.

3) Mains Frequency

The mains frequency in the UK is 50 Hz (Hertz, or cycles per second), compared to the US 60 Hertz. For devices with their own trasnformer (laptop, digital camera, cell phone) this won't matter a jot. For some other devices that don't have an subtle electrics (e.g. hairdryers), it will make a small difference to performance but is OK as long as you don't run them for a long time.

Devices that rely on the mains frequency will either not work or work wrongly (e.g., some clock radios will run too slowly), or may fail.

4) Current & Power. UK supply will deliver up to 13A (Amps) at 240V, which is about 3kW (3000 Watts). As well as the overall circuit rating, UK plugs have fuses in them, which may be rated at only 3A or 5A, and the fuse will blow if you try to draw more current than that. Check your appliance for its current rating. If your device only shows its power rating (in Watts or W), divide the power rating by 240 to get the current requirement in Amps, assuming it works on a 240V supply.

If you are using a transformer to step down from 240V to 100V, bear in mind that halving the voltage will double the current to deliver the same power, so don't try to run anything using more than 1.4kW through a 13A plug.

Some London hotels have rooms that have 110V supply and earthed US-style sockets for American devices. These supplies will still only deliver a maximum of 13A, possibly only 5A in some cases. They will still run on UK mains frequency, not US frequency.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: voltage question

> To use a 1a0V-only device

That shoudl, of course, read

> To use a 110V-only device

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: voltage question

Most London hotels have hairdryers in the room. I wouldn't bother to take up space in my suitcase with one.

If the plug on your camera/laptop says 100-240v than all you need is an UK plug adaptor(3 prong).

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: voltage question

Hair clippers usually use a vibrating motor and may simply not work on the wrong frequency.

Level Contributor
702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: voltage question

This device is not suitable for clippers and may damage other appliances that are not just resistive heaters, i.e. anything with a motor or electronic controls.

You will find in the UK (not the rest of Europe) that SOME shaver outlets have a 110V socket. This can be used for very low power (20-30W max) devices only. So you may be able to recharge or run a pair of men's clippers depending on the type - you need to find the rating plate and check its power consumption < 30 Watts or < 0.3 Amps.

You can buy an inexpensive hair drier in the UK for about 7 GBP.

7. Re: voltage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 20:16