We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

Our family of four includes two teenage girls, ages 14 and 15. It seems a bargain to buy family tickets at the attractions that offer them (e.g. Tower of London). Other attractions (such as the London Eye) offer Child prices for kids 15 and under. However, the 15 year old is very tall and looks older than her age. Does anyone know what proof of age is required for these places (if any)? I don't want to carry our passports around. I did order "Oyster Photocards" for the girls -- we'll be picking these up at Victoria station when we arrive in May. Would those show their age and be acceptable?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

Why not take photocopies of their passports and carry them around with you? In fact it's a good idea for the whole family to do this anyway...just in case.

Most clerks at visitor attractions are fairly laid back about ages but it's best to err on the safe side.

As a side note a few places insist (according to their websites) on student id for university and college students but in practise this is not always asked for.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

My son's oyster photocard has '11-15' printed on it so if that is what you've ordered, I'm sure it would be fine if you needed to show proof of age.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

You definitely need proof -copy of passport is good or any official document showing age. I think Oyster cards show age.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

The Oyster cards don't show age - they have an expiry of validity date but that isn't the child's 16th birthday. I have never been asked to provide proof of age before, even with my taller-than -me eldest.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

Thanks - I wasn't sure if a "copy" of the passport would be enough. We'll use that to make sure she gets the "child" rate for 15 and under. She's close to 6 foot tall, so many people think she's older than 15!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

Most places will take your word for it.

Most of those that don't will accept anything that looks remotely official.

7. Re: Family or Child Tickets - Proof of age?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 01:19