We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife?

Can anyone recommend a good area for pub and club life in the evenings in central London?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife?

I'm afraid I can't help you there, I'm one of those early-to-bed types. But since your query didn't raise a single response I thought I could at least help you out by suggesting that you do a search for "clubs" and "pubs" at the top right of this page.

BTW, Wiltshire is my favorite county. I love walking there and have spent well over a month in different parts of the county over 5 visits, most recently spending a week at Sherrington (ever heard of it?!).

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife?

Thanks for your input, Britfan. Yes, I agree that Wiltshire is a beautiful place with its rolling hills and green countryside and small towns and villages. I am not all that familiar with Sherrington, but its proximity with the catherdral city of Salisbury is pretty handy.

London
Level Contributor
797 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife?

Soho will be a good bet for bars, but stay well away from any clubs in or around Leicester Square - rip off prices, poor experience, totally tourist clientelle.

London, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife?

Soho is a great area - so many bars, restaurants and fab people watching! Charlotte Street (W1) is also very cool with a little bit more restaurant focus.

Also have a look at http://www.timeout.com/london/ for up to the minute offers etc.

There is also a Time Out magazine that you can pick up in most newsagents that will give you info by type of music and night.

If you choose a swish restaurant it might be worth booking in advance.

Also watch out for dresscodes. Most places are happy with a cool, trendy look (including jeans) but might not like trainers or ripped jeans.

This is a great city - have a fab time!

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife?

Totally agree Soho is great, there's also plenty of late licensed bars so you don't always need to go to a club. People have pointed out that there's a few gay bars in this area but they're quite obvious and the door staff are pretty good - if you don't look like their usual clientele they will warn you before you go in.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife?

Wiltshire, since everyone is recommending Soho, I would caution you about "adult" clubs. You can read a fairly heated thread about one man's sorry experience and warning if there's any possibility you'll be checking out an adult club. Search "Soho" at upper right.

Sherrington is only 12 miles from Salisbury but I never got to the city this time. I stayed on the back roads and went countryside walking in the snow in February (not a lot, but every day). If I recall correctly, there are 27 cottages in Sherrington and a population of 56! One church, no pub.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife?

LPB as you've just asked about pub and club life i doubt you're looking for XXX type 'Adult Clubs' so i really wouldn't worry. These places are there for those that want them and are not even that noticeacble if you're just having a night on the town.

London, UK
Level Contributor
313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife?

For something a bit different: Hanway Street is just off Oxford street and home to Bradley's Spanish bar -absolutely tiny and very off-the-wall - downstairs has the best juke box in London. When it gets so crowded you can't see the bar, there are also a few Spanish flamenco and music bars further up the street - very basic, full of ex-pat Spaniards, great atmosphere.

In Soho, The French pub (Dean Street) is always packed with louche arty types who will strike up a drunken conversation with you at the drop of a hat. Plenty of pubs and clubs in Dean street and Wardour street to wander round from trendy (The Dog House was good last time I was there a while back, admittedly) to resolutely old-fashioned 'boozers' (more my thing) - the Ship in Wardour St is a good example.

Have fun!

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife?

All around London, you are never far away from dozens of vibrant 'High Street' areas. Yes, Leicester Square and Soho are excellent for night life. Kensington High Street and the Kings Road in Chelsea are lively by night, as is Brick Lane (E1 postal district) and Greenwich.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife?

head for Covent Garden, loads of decent pubs/clubs and eats.