We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

For those of you who transfer/fly out of Heathrow frequently, what would you say the minimum transfer time through Heathrow is?

I've been searching for a fare to Prague that's not going to require me to take out a 2nd mortgage and almost all of the flights transfer through Heathrow, United had one with a 90 minute transfer time (Czech Airline connecting to United) which I know is too short. There's another with 2 hours 10 minutes, all on BA, still probably too short (might be the last flight of the day to Chicago)? 2 1/2 hours (all on BA, earlier flight)?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,300 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

I'd definitiely allow at least 2 hours going through Heathrow, if you can check your luggage all the way through to Prague you might be OK but not currently!

If you are looking for value and an easier change, you might want to look at Amsterdam or Frankfurt. There's some good deals to Prague from AMS and FRA. These gateways give you access to the low cost airlines in Europe like Air Berlin, Ryanair, Vuelling and easyJet

California
Level Contributor
320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

I would not take any flight that doesn't give me at least two and a half hours to change terminals. I recently flew through Heathrow on the way to Milan, and the changing of terminals took forever ... there wasn't even time to buy a magazine.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

Thanks, I found a slightly more expensive fare that transfers through Amsterdam and if it lands on time will give us a chance to spend a few hours in Amsterdam on the way back so I booked that. It's really quite something the taxes that are assessed on flights through London, the BA fare was a lot less but by the time you added the taxes it was almost the same. The taxes through London for 2 people was $916 vs. $256 through Amsterdam!!!!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

I had a 90 minute connection through Heathrow once on our way to Romania, after circling the airport for a 1/2 hour and standing in the huge security line we barely made the plane and of course our luggage didn't. I try to avoid transferring through Heathrow if I can....

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,300 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

High taxes in the UK?! Well, there's a first!

Glad you found something, enjoy Amsterdam as well. From Schipol airport there's a direct, frequent train service to Gare Centraale. Takes about 15 minutes and you should have enough time to take a quick look!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

Recently had to connect in CDG to AMS with a 3 1/2 hr layover. Bags came off early enough, except one was missing and we spent time tracking it down. We were required to check in 30 min early. We directly did so, dragging bags from TA > TF. Checking in 1 hr prior with 30 min to spare. Glad we allowed the time.

If you are on BA and depart same terminal as you arrive, your bags should be checked through and you will have an easy transfer. 2+ hours will allow time for a late arrival.

T

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

We've connected through Amsterdam before and I love how close the city is to the airport, 15 minutes and you are in the heart of it! Just hope our flight is on time and that we get a few hours to spend there.

8. Re: Minimum transfer time through Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:21